Pioneer, then - surely, you beat the rush :). On 3/6/24 1:53 PM, Douglas McIlroy wrote: > Very kind words from Brantley and Clem. It's an interesting notion to > regard Unix as gestational until it came out in public talks (1973) > and was exported to universities. > > Maybe I could claim to have laid the groundwork for Unix by causing > Multics to be written in PL/I, a language big and sprawling, like the > project itself. That unintentionally provided plenty of stimulus for > thinking small. Ken was absolutely on his own when he began to fiddle > with building a tiny operating system on the GE 645. I heard about it > only after the fact. > > After Multics, I ran interference to keep our once-burned higher > management from frowning too much on further operating-system > research. I was aware that Ken, Dennis and Rudd were discussing the > subject down the hall from my office, but I did not participate in the > discussions. At the same time, I was noodling over what would later be > called shell pipelines; but I did not come up with the vivid term > "pipe"  or a halfway workable syntax for another three years. While > these actions may have contributed to a welcoming environment for > Unix, they in no way "started" it. > > Doug > > On Wed, Mar 6, 2024 at 10:03 AM Brantley Coile > wrote: > > It all depends on how you define "started." > > Your contributions to it was done while it was still in the > maternity ward of the hospital in which it was birthed. I would > argue, at length if need be, but I suspect it's not needed, that > you indeed "started to develop it." Did only Ken started it. Who > was in the room when Ken outlined the file system? You're finger > prints are all over everything from very, very early. > > From a quarter the way into the 21st century, you certainly appear > to have started to develop it. > > Just my humble opinion. my disclaimer is that I've always held > your contributions in very high regard. > > Brantley > > > On Mar 6, 2024, at 9:55 AM, Douglas McIlroy > wrote: > > > > > When Rudd, Doug, Ken, Dennis, et al start to develop UNIX > > > > Although I jumped into Unix as soon as it was born, I was not > one of those who "start[ed] to develop it". > > > > Doug >