The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs / Pascal
       [not found] <mailman.25.1467300770.30583.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2016-06-30 23:00 ` David
From: David @ 2016-06-30 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Ronald Natalie <ron at ronnatalie.com>
>

>> On the other hand, there was
>> no excuse for a Pascal compiler to be either large, buggy, or slow, even before Turbo Pascal.
>>
> I remember the Pascal computer on my Apple II used to have to use some of the video memory while it was running.

UCSD Pascal, the Apple Pascal base, would grab the video memory as space to write the heap when compiling. When the Terak system was in use at UCSD the video memory would display on the screen so you could watch the heap grow down the screen while the stack crawled up when compiling. If it ever hit in the middle, you had a crash. Exciting times.

Terak systems were 11/03 based, IIRC. (http://www.threedee.com/jcm/terak/)

	David

* [TUHS] Algol68 vs. C at Bell Labs / Pascal
@ 2016-06-30 23:43   ` William Cheswick
From: William Cheswick @ 2016-06-30 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Shades of the BLIT loading.

       [not found] <mailman.27.1467307673.30583.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>