Thanks a lot for all your responses. They helped and encouraged me. [2015-05-18 11:06] Clem Cole > > I thought it came from USG, as it was definitely in PWB 3.0 [which was > "rebranded" as System III post break-up], I think it may have been in PWB 2.0. >   Mashey might remember.   I'll check any doc I have at home tonight, but do > not think I still have PWB 2.0 bits anywhere.  I think Warren has a TAR image > from Henry of the PWB 1.0 which to check. This is what I found out so far: 1) cut was part of System III. The sources are online: http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=SysIII/usr/src/cmd/cut.c In consequence, cut was part of PWB 3.0, as well, because that's the same. 2) These sources of (presumely) PWB 1.0 show no signs of cut: http://minnie.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/usdl/ 3) I couldn't find any sources or useful documentation about PWB 2.0. 4) I've discovered that cut was present in CB Unix 2.1 (which I haven't even known it existed. ;-) ). I found scanned man pages, which date November 1979: ftp://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/unix/UnixArchive/PDP-11/Distributions/other/CB_Unix/cbunix_man1_02.pdf (cut is on PDF page 57) Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find sources or, actually, much useful information at all on CB Unix. Possibly, you can help me a further step from this point on. I think, interesting would be sources or docs about PWB 2.0 and CB Unix and the relation i.e. code transfer between PWB and CB Unix. meillo