On 4/8/24 18:51, Chris Torek wrote: >> Chris Torek of UofMaryland. > I got it into 4.3-Reno. I did not come up with the whole thing but > Rehmi Post and I worked out how to compute %cpu without using floating > point (the original VAX-only version used FP but we had to stop doing > that when we were worried about porting to systems that lacked kernel > access to FP). > > The version in current FreeBSD is fancier now though. > > Chris Around 1981 I put a similar calculation into 2BSD for the PDP-11 with no floating point, but this was for the system load average, not the %cpu. It just imputes a decimal point in the middle of what the processor considers an integer. Thanks, /Mary Ann Horton/ (she/her/ma'am)       Award Winning Author maryannhorton.com