The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: mah@mhorton.net (Mary Ann Horton)
Subject: [TUHS] shared memory on Unix
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2017 08:21:46 -0800	[thread overview]

I*'m not sure what you mean by CB3, but these features (shared memory,
semaphores, IPC) were added to CB-UNIX (Bell Labs, Columbus) precisely
because they were needed in real time telco systems and not preset in
the versions from New Jersey.  This would have been in the early 1980s.
When I got there in 1981 I think CB-UNIX was already well established
and had these features.  (These would show up, ironically, in /usr/ucb,
which did not stand for Berkeley.)

     Mary Ann