Hear! Hear! I'd say it's about time, but that might be impolitic. This is fantastic news and bodes well for my favorite sim's future. Thanks for the heads up, Will On 6/3/22 3:00 PM, Clem Cole wrote: > Announcing the Open SIMH project > > SIMH is a framework and family of computer simulators, initiated by > Bob Supnik and continued with contributions (large and small) from > many others, with the primary goal of enabling the preservation of > knowledge contained in, and providing the ability to > execute/experience, old/historic software via simulation of the > hardware on which it ran. This goal has been successfully achieved and > has for these years created a diverse community of users and developers. > > This has mapped to some core operational principles: > > First, preserve the ability to run old/historically significant > software. This means functionally accurate, sometimes bug-compatible, > but not cycle-accurate, simulation. > > Second, make it reasonably easy to add new simulators for other > hardware while leveraging common functions between the simulators. > > Third, exploit the software nature of simulation and make SIMH > convenient for debugging a simulated system, by adding non-historical > features to the environment. > > Fourth, make it convenient for users to explore old system > environments, with as close to historical interfaces, by mapping them > to new features that modern host operating systems provide. > > Fifth, be inclusive of people and new technology. It's serious work, > but it should be fun. > > Previously, we unfortunately never spent the time to codify how we > would deliver on these concepts. Rather, we have relied on an informal > use of traditional free and open-source principles. > > Recently a situation has arisen that compromises some of these > principles and thus the entire status of the project, creating > consternation among many users and contributors. > > For this reason, a number of us have stepped up to create a new > organizational structure, which we call "The Open SIMH Project", to be > the keeper and provide formal governance for the SIMH ecosystem going > forward.  While details of the structure and how it operates are > likely to be refined over time, what will not change is our commitment > to maintaining SIMH as a free and open-source project, licensed under > an MIT-style license as shown on the "simh" repository page. > > It is our desire that all of the past users and contributors will come > to recognize that the new organizational structure is in the best > interests of the community at large and that they will join us in it. > However, this iproject as defined, is where we intend to contribute > our expertise and time going forward.  At this point, we have in place > the following, although we foresee other resources being added in the > future as we identify the need and execute against them: > > A Github "organization" for the project at https://github.com/open-simh > > A Git repository for the simulators themselves at > https://github.com/open-simh/simh > > The license for the SIMH simulator code base, found in LICENSE.txt in > the top level of the "simh" repository. > > The "SIMH related tools" in https://github.com/open-simh/simtools. > This is also licensed under MIT style or BSD style open source > licenses (which are comparable apart from some minor wording differences). > > A "SIMH Steering Group" -- project maintainers and guides. > > The conventional git style process is used for code contributions, via > pull request to the project repository. The Steering Group members > have approval authority; this list is likely to change and grow over time. > > By formalizing the underlying structure, our operational principles > and guidance can best benefit the community. These are being developed > and formalized, with a plan to publish them soon. > > We have used our best judgment in setting up this structure but are > open to discussion and consideration of other ideas, and to making > improvements. Many of us have been part of different projects and > understand that past mistakes are real. We have tried to learn from > these experiences and apply the collected wisdom appropriately. We > desire to hear from the community as we update and refine the > operating structure for the Open SIMH project. > > We hope for your patience and look forward to your support as we work > to refine the organization and be able to provide this wonderful > resource for anyone to use as we continue to evolve the technology > provided by the SIMH system. > >      The SIMH Steering Group >         Clem Cole >         Richard Cornwell >         Paul Koning >         Timothe Litt >         Seth Morabito >         Bob Supnik > > > ᐧ > ᐧ > ᐧ