Now there's a trip down memory lane! I'm afraid this memory is lost to the cobwebs of my mind, but I'm grateful for the archival systems that keep the history. Thanks, /Mary Ann Horton/ (she/her/ma'am) maryannhorton.com “This is a great book about an amazing journey of a woman who went through hell to become the person she is today.” * - Monica Helms, creator of the transgender flag* "Brave and Important - Don’t miss this wonderful book!" * - Laura L. Engel, Intl. Memoir Writers Assn.*       Available on Amazon and bn.com. Audiobook on Google Play. On 10/16/23 21:00, Jonathan Gray wrote: > On Mon, Oct 16, 2023 at 11:42:06AM -0700, Mary Ann Horton wrote: >> My vol 2C is comb bound with the Bell logo on the front and back cover. >> >> It matches what Matt describes below: Date November 1980, hand-written part >> 55 (Curses) on TOC, Curses included. >> >> I personally wrote "4.1 BSD Vol 2C" on the spine of my comb version, and >> "4.1 BSD Vol 1" on the spine of the other comb bound, which were clearly a >> set. (We were expected to use the V7 vol 2a and 2b, as they were not >> changed.) Vol 1's title page is dated June, 1981". The preface of Vol 1 adds >> 3 paragraphs beginning "This update to the fourth distribution of November, >> 1980 provides support for the VAX 11/750 and for the full interconnect >> architecture of the VAX 11/780. ..." This paragraph is not dated but would >> seem to be from June 1981. >> >> I don't recall who ran the set of manuals in Bell Labs, but it wasn't done >> at Columbus. Someone was kind enough to send me a set. >> >> I'm inclined to believe Matt is right about vol 2C not being updated except >> by pencil and the Curses section. >> >> Interestingly, I also have a "UNIX 3.0 Vol 1" comb bound manual with the >> same style of cover, same personal spine label, probably done at the same >> time, likely by the same group. I don't recall who but I'll speculate it was >> someone at MH or WH. Possibly Brian Redman? > You mentioned the manuals in: > https://www.tuhs.org/Usenet/comp.unix.wizards/1981-December/000593.html > > "Inside Bell Labs, we have ordered a bunch of 4.1BSD manuals printed > like our 3.0 manuals (6x9 with the plastic ring binders). We haven't > gotten them back yet (this is expected some time early next year) but > if they come out like our 3.0 manuals they will be a total win. > (The only disadvantage is that it's nearly impossible to add your own > local pages.) Cost seems to be (50,$2000), (100,$2000), (200,$2500)... > > When we get them, if they're good, I'll publicise the name of the print > company (they're in NJ) and people can probably work out some kind of > combined deal - the demand inside the labs was incredible (900 manuals) > and since everybody in the labs runs the non-Berkeley version of UNIX, > I expect the combined demand on the outside would knock down the price > real quick." > > A scan of the 3.0 manual is on bitsavers: > https://bitsavers.org/pdf/att/unix/System_III/UNIX_Users_Manual_Release_3_Jun80.pdf (32M)