The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: markus schnalke <meillo@marmaro.de>
To: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: ed: multiple addresses (with semicolons)
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 21:13:17 +0200	[thread overview]

Hoi,

thanks for your replies, Doug and Ken.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to find the ``Multics Condensed Guide''
on multicians.org. Can someone please provide a link?

Interrestingly, I discovered that qed had double quotes (") as a
comment command, which simply ignores the rest of the line. As far
as I know, there's no way to comment ed scripts. Why was that
dropped?

In ex(1) the " comment command reappeared. I've always wondered
why it used this character for comments. Seems it comes from qed,
leaping over ed, but reappearing in ex.

meillo

[2022-07-08 09:01] Ken Thompson <kenbob@gmail.com>