The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: joerg@begemot.org (Joerg B. Micheel)
Subject: macro-11 for V7-Unix
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:38:14 +1300	[thread overview]

On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 07:52:53PM -0500, Tim Shoppa wrote:
> As the possibly only member of this list who still makes a living writing
> MACRO-11 code, I'm gonna take two shots at this:

I believe the SEP RELAG-3 system (www.sep.de) is based on LSI-11, not sure
it is written in assembler, though. Perhaps Torsten could tell ...

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg at begemot.org>
Begemot Computer Associates		Phone: +64 7 8562148

Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 21:17:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
To: SHOPPA at trailing-edge.com
Subject: Re: macro-11 for V7-Unix
Cc: PUPS at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

> From owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au Fri Jan 14 17:09 PST 2000
> Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 19:52:53 -0500
> From: Tim Shoppa <SHOPPA at trailing-edge.com>
> To: PUPS at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
> Subject: Re: macro-11 for V7-Unix
>
> >In article by Prof. Karl Kleine:
> >> once upon a time, it was around 1981, I used a pdp11/45 with V7
> >> (I started my life with Unix with V6 in 1977/8), doing some research
> >> in compilers, portability, dense code schemes for interpreters.
> >> For that I used a port of DEC MACRO-11 to Unix. There was also
> >> I have the Supnik emulator to play with, and I wonder if this
> >> macro-11 and linker is still somewhere around. I would love to
> >> prepare a few examples for my lessons here (I'm a professor in
>
> >Hi Karl, I think this came up on Usenet recently. No I don't know
> >of a port of Macro-11 to Unix. I'll pass this on to our mailing list,
> >just in case anybody knows of it.
>
> As the possibly only member of this list who still makes a living writing
> MACRO-11 code, I'm gonna take two shots at this:
>
> One possibility is the "as11" assembler from Xinu.  It's a fairly portable
> PDP-11 assembler, but doesn't have all the real macro facilities of
> real Macro-11.  You can find this at
>
>  http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/xinu/unpacked/src/cmd/as11/
>
> The other (and more likely) possibility is the "m11" macro package from
> Harvard, which *does* come with a linker ("l11") as Karl described.  The
> full distribution is in the 2.11BSD source tree, at "/usr/src/new/m11".
>
>  Tim Shoppa                        Email: shoppa at trailing-edge.com

Let me toss in another possibility.  Around that time (late 70's -
early 80's) we (Marine Physical Lab) were running an RT-11 emulator on
a couple of our PDP-11 Unix systems.  Product of Human Computing
Resources, as I remember.  Once you can emulate RT-11, you can run all
of its CUSPs:  assembler, linker, Fortran, what have you.  Assuming, of
course, that you have appropriate licenses etc.

We did it to get a reasonably capable Fortran compiler with our Unix.

    carl

        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein at ucsd.edu