The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Sun release source code for Solaris 8
       [not found] <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001281418330.65317-100000@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
@ 2000-02-02  1:17 ` Terry Lambert
From: Terry Lambert @ 2000-02-02  1:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Also, the white paper on BeOS claims that with all the new advances in
> hardware, modern OS's have too many layers, which they call 'silt', to
> allow them to use the hardware effectively.  They argue that only
> starting from scratch allows full use of modern technology, including
> multimedia advances.  How can FreeBSD keep up?  We don't have kernel
> threading and SMP support is still in the works, and most BSD features
> are 'add-ons'.  Should this be a concern for the future?

Unlike BeOS, FreeBSD is multiuser, and supports the concept of
credentials.  I was asked to do some work porting some things,
including NFS, SMB, NetWare, and filesystem support to BeOS,
but it has an intrinsic lack of a security model, which can not
be easily overcome.  It is not suitable as a server OS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry at lambert.org
---
or previous employers.

From: Arno Griffioen <arno@usn.nl>
Subject: Qbus bootstrap board/ROMS?
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 15:17:11 +0100 (CET)
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Any suggestions as to where I can get my hands on boot ROM's (or
data files. I have access to an EPROM programmer) for use with an 11/73?
A boot-ROM Qbus card would be nice too..

I'm trying to build up a new 11/73 (heh.. 'new' ;-) with an ex-uVAX BA213
chassis.  (the original KA650 is in storage as a spare for my running machine)

I have most of the stuff I need (anybody have a spare 4 Mbyte QBUS card??) and
can re-use most of the QBUS cards from the uVAX (with an Emulex UC07
SCSI card! yeah!), but I don't have any boot ROM's or a ROM-card
for the 11/73.

The CPU card is a dual-wide version, so no on-board ROM's :-(

So far my searches have turned up little or nothing in this area, but I
hope that the combined brain-power here knows some addresses I can
try..

Thanx!

								Bye, Arno,

--
PSINetworks Europe           Fax: +31-23-5699841 | One disk to rule them all,
Siriusdreef 34               Tel: +31-23-5699840 | One disk to bind them,

 We say Retribution, We say Vengeance is bliss, We say Revolution,
 With a Cast-Iron fist!                  (Megadeth, 'The Disintegrators')

Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 9:45:17 -0500
From: Tim Shoppa <SHOPPA@trailing-edge.com>
To: PUPS at MINNIE.CS.ADFA.OZ.AU
Subject: Re: Qbus bootstrap board/ROMS?
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

>Any suggestions as to where I can get my hands on boot ROM's (or
>data files. I have access to an EPROM programmer) for use with an 11/73?
>A boot-ROM Qbus card would be nice too..

[Later comment indicates a KDJ11-A...]

If you don't mind a toggle-in (err, um, ODT-in) bootstrap, you can
find a selection (some of them with disassemblies) at

 http://metalab.unc.edu/pub/academic/computer-science/history/pdp-11/

just click on "Bootstraps".  If you really insist on rolling your
own from scratch, you can burn these (modified if you want) into your
own EPROM's.

Chances are that if you find a Q-bus card that takes EPROM's it will
already have a boot ROM in it.  For more on what's out there, read
Micronote #3 "Compatible Bootstraps for the LSI-11/73" and Micronote #15
"Q-Bus Hardware Bootstraps".  If you don't have a printed set of
Micronotes handy, you can click on the above link at metalab and
then click on the Micronote index.

>I have most of the stuff I need (anybody have a spare 4 Mbyte QBUS card??) and
>can re-use most of the QBUS cards from the uVAX (with an Emulex UC07
>SCSI card! yeah!), but I don't have any boot ROM's or a ROM-card
>for the 11/73.

The UC07 has an onboard PDP-11 bootstrap you can enable.  Why not just
turn it on?

 Tim Shoppa                        Email: shoppa at trailing-edge.com
 Trailing Edge Technology          WWW:   http://www.trailing-edge.com/
 7328 Bradley Blvd		   Voice: 301-767-5917
 Bethesda, MD, USA 20817           Fax:   301-767-5927

* Sun release source code for Solaris 8
@ 2000-02-01 10:24   ` Arno Griffioen
From: Arno Griffioen @ 2000-02-01 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Currently out of town. Still, it might be worth asking SCO for a discount!
> Does the license cover all of Solaris, or just the kernel??

Just wondering, but...

How would you build it? Or does Sun now package a (free) dev-kit with
Solaris-8? So far has the dev-kit for Solaris not been very cheap..

Or (oh irony!) do I first need to install *BSD or Linux on a box and build
it there? ;-)

								Bye, Arno.

From: "emanuel stiebler" <emu@ecubics.com>
To: "Arno Griffioen" <arno at usn.nl>
Cc: <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Subject: Re: Sun release source code for Solaris 8
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 07:29:16 -0700
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

> > Currently out of town. Still, it might be worth asking SCO for a
discount!
> > Does the license cover all of Solaris, or just the kernel??
>
> Just wondering, but...
>
> How would you build it? Or does Sun now package a (free) dev-kit with
> Solaris-8? So far has the dev-kit for Solaris not been very cheap..
>
> Or (oh irony!) do I first need to install *BSD or Linux on a box and build
> it there? ;-)

You got this exactly right ;-)

You install *BSD on your system, compile a new kernel & world, just for
testing, and WHUPS, you don't care anymore about Slowlaris ;-)

Cheers & have fun,
emanuel

* Sun release source code for Solaris 8
       [not found] <m3aels1g6u.fsf@shelbyville.oai.com>
@ 2000-01-30  0:50 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2000-01-30  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Mirian Crzig Lennox:
> Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com> writes:
> >
> > The conditions look rather like the SCO ancient UNIX licences, but
> > it's *cheaper* ($75, which includes deliverables from Sun).  Warren,
> > is this ammunition to lobby SCO to drop the prices of Ancient UNIX
> > licenses?
>
> After looking at the site, it seems as though Sun is trying to prevent
> licence holders from sharing code with other licence holders.  If this
> is true, it would certainly make the Solaris licence less desirable to
> hobbyists than the ancient UNIX licence, unfortunately.
> --Mirian

Currently out of town. Still, it might be worth asking SCO for a discount!
Does the license cover all of Solaris, or just the kernel??

Cheers,
	Warren

@ 2000-01-29  3:21 ` emanuel stiebler
From: emanuel stiebler @ 2000-01-29  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> tough sell.  Several guys i know say the majority of new unix installs
> are Linux with few BSD.  They say the only BSD users that are growing
> are ISPs.

I think, that linux is somehow an entry in the unix world ;-)
After a while you notice, that *BSD is cleaner & more stable.

> Also, the white paper on BeOS claims that with all the new advances in
> hardware, modern OS's have too many layers, which they call 'silt', to
> allow them to use the hardware effectively.

Look what happened to linux & *BSD in the last months/years. They adapting
new technologies very fast ...

> They argue that only
> starting from scratch allows full use of modern technology, including
> multimedia advances.  How can FreeBSD keep up?  We don't have kernel
> threading and SMP support is still in the works, and most BSD features
> are 'add-ons'.  Should this be a concern for the future?

Don't be "concerned", build in the stuff you're missing ;-)

cheers,
emanuel

* Sun release source code for Solaris 8
       [not found] <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001271255430.48240-100000@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
@ 2000-01-28 13:45 ` John Rosenberg
From: John Rosenberg @ 2000-01-28 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have written several device drivers (e.g., disk, DSP, DAT) for Solaris.
It is the slowest OS since Multix. Solaris is buggy, albeit pretty darned
stable. Interesting OS, but I'd stick by BSD (from a systems programmer
type).

Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 14:24:19 +0000 (GMT)
From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To: John Rosenberg <jcrosenberg at earthlink.net>
cc: Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com>, "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg at begemot.org>,
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

I'm a little concerned where all this leaves FreeBSD.  If Solaris goes
open source, or something similar, and tries to compete with w2k, plus
linux is out there growing, and BeOS will be free soon....  FreeBSD might be a
tough sell.  Several guys i know say the majority of new unix installs
are Linux with few BSD.  They say the only BSD users that are growing
are ISPs.  Does anyone have any stats on how fast we are
growing on the desktop, or in general?

Also, the white paper on BeOS claims that with all the new advances in
hardware, modern OS's have too many layers, which they call 'silt', to
allow them to use the hardware effectively.  They argue that only
starting from scratch allows full use of modern technology, including
multimedia advances.  How can FreeBSD keep up?  We don't have kernel
threading and SMP support is still in the works, and most BSD features
are 'add-ons'.  Should this be a concern for the future?

-=> jm <=-

"Do not taunt the Happy Fun Ball."

From: "emanuel stiebler" <emu@ecubics.com>
To: "Jonathon McKitrick" <jcm at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc: <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 08:14:48 -0700
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

From: Tim Bradshaw <tfb@cley.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 16:04:35 +0000 (GMT)
To: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox at alcita.com>
Cc: UNIX Heritage Society <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

* Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:

> This is in contrast to the Ancient UNIX licence, where it's my
> impression that SCO really doesn't care what you do with UNIX so long
> as you don't share code with unlicensed people.

But that's what you'd expect isn't it?  Sun have some reasonable hope
of continuing to make money from Solaris, and they obviously would
like to retain some control, while SCO is unlikely to be regarding
6th-edition Unix as a big earner...

--tim

* Sun release source code for Solaris 8
@ 2000-01-27  0:33 Greg Lehey
From: Greg Lehey @ 2000-01-27  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sun's releasing the source code to Solaris.  Take a look at
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/source/index.html for more
details.

The conditions look rather like the SCO ancient UNIX licences, but
it's *cheaper* ($75, which includes deliverables from Sun).  Warren,
is this ammunition to lobby SCO to drop the prices of Ancient UNIX
licenses?

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox@alcita.com>
To: UNIX Heritage Society <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Date: 26 Jan 2000 20:00:57 -0500
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:23:07 +1300
From: "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg@begemot.org>
To: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox at alcita.com>
Cc: UNIX Heritage Society <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 08:00:57PM -0500, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com> writes:
> >
> > The conditions look rather like the SCO ancient UNIX licences, but
> > it's *cheaper* ($75, which includes deliverables from Sun).  Warren,
> > is this ammunition to lobby SCO to drop the prices of Ancient UNIX
> > licenses?
>
> After looking at the site, it seems as though Sun is trying to prevent
> licence holders from sharing code with other licence holders.  If this
> is true, it would certainly make the Solaris licence less desirable to
> hobbyists than the ancient UNIX licence, unfortunately.

You're right, as long as patches do contain portions of Solaris.
Everything that does so has to funnel trough Sun first, this can
be done by putting it onto their secure server. The restriction
is that you can't share it freely, everything must be visible to
Sun. This is slightly different from the original educational
license, which allowed sharing with peers bound by the same
license conditions.

I think, popularity of Solaris might rather be restricted by its
performance. I have run Solaris x86 on my desktop for a while for
evaluation purposes. I don't think you could tune it easily to
become as fast as a regular Linux or *BSD system. Apart from
that, it certainly is the dinosaur solution of the decade.

	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg at begemot.org>
Begemot Computer Associates		Phone: +64 7 8562148

From: "emanuel stiebler" <emu@ecubics.com>
To: "Mirian Crzig Lennox" <lennox at alcita.com>,
        "UNIX Heritage Society" <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:28:28 -0700
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

> > The conditions look rather like the SCO ancient UNIX licences, but
> > it's *cheaper* ($75, which includes deliverables from Sun).  Warren,
> > is this ammunition to lobby SCO to drop the prices of Ancient UNIX
> > licenses?
>
> After looking at the site, it seems as though Sun is trying to prevent
> licence holders from sharing code with other licence holders.  If this
> is true, it would certainly make the Solaris licence less desirable to
> hobbyists than the ancient UNIX licence, unfortunately.

They don't "prevent" it, it seems that it is always steered by/at SUN.

From the Webpage:

> If you want to make your source code modifications available to other
Solaris
> source code licensees, you can do so by passing the changes back to Sun,
and
> Sun will then post them to a secure website that you and other registered
users
> may access.

cheers,
emanuel

Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:42:54 -0800 (PST)
From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms@moe.2bsd.com>
To: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

> From: "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg at begemot.org>
> I think, popularity of Solaris might rather be restricted by its
> performance. I have run Solaris x86 on my desktop for a while for

	Agreed.  I have run Solaris (only up thru 2.6 though) in its
	"native" environment (Sun hardware) and even there the performance
	is not anything one would write home about.  The difference between
	SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.x is dramatic in favor on the older leaner
	system.

	I have not run Solarix x86 though but have heard from others (before
	this) that its performance is quite a bit less than a BSD* system.

	Steven Schultz
	sms at moe.2bsd.com

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:57:36 +1030
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox at alcita.com>
Cc: UNIX Heritage Society <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Wednesday, 26 January 2000 at 20:00:57 -0500, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com> writes:
>>
>> The conditions look rather like the SCO ancient UNIX licences, but
>> it's *cheaper* ($75, which includes deliverables from Sun).  Warren,
>> is this ammunition to lobby SCO to drop the prices of Ancient UNIX
>> licenses?
>
> After looking at the site, it seems as though Sun is trying to
> prevent licence holders from sharing code with other licence
> holders.

I'm not 100% sure what they mean here.  Nobody can stop you
distributing software you wrote as long as it doesn't contain
proprietary Sun code.  You could do that with diffs.

> If this is true, it would certainly make the Solaris licence less
> desirable to hobbyists than the ancient UNIX licence, unfortunately.

I think it is anyway.  For hobby purposes, I'd much rather use either
4.4BSD (for modern usage) or one of the old UNIXes.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:56:02 +1030
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms at moe.2bsd.com>
Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Wednesday, 26 January 2000 at 17:42:54 -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
>> From: "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg at begemot.org>
>> I think, popularity of Solaris might rather be restricted by its
>> performance. I have run Solaris x86 on my desktop for a while for
>
> 	Agreed.  I have run Solaris (only up thru 2.6 though) in its
> 	"native" environment (Sun hardware) and even there the performance
> 	is not anything one would write home about.  The difference between
> 	SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.x is dramatic in favor on the older leaner
> 	system.

That's my experience too, but it may not be typical.  For a large
system with a large number of processes (e.g. ftp server) the
comparison could be very different.

> 	I have not run Solarix x86 though but have heard from others (before
> 	this) that its performance is quite a bit less than a BSD* system.

Ditto.  I have a CD somewhere that I just couldn't be bothered
installing.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:04:06 +1300
From: "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg@begemot.org>
To: Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com>
Cc: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms at moe.2bsd.com>, pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:38:20 +1030
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To: "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg at begemot.org>
Cc: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms at moe.2bsd.com>, pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au,
        FreeBSD Chat <chat at FreeBSD.ORG>
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Thursday, 27 January 2000 at 18:04:06 +1300, Joerg Micheel wrote:

>>> 	Agreed.  I have run Solaris (only up thru 2.6 though) in its
>>> 	"native" environment (Sun hardware) and even there the performance
>>> 	is not anything one would write home about.  The difference between
>>> 	SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.x is dramatic in favor on the older leaner
>>> 	system.
>>
>> That's my experience too, but it may not be typical.  For a large
>> system with a large number of processes (e.g. ftp server) the
>> comparison could be very different.
>
> That would make quite an interesting test. How much does
> ftp.cdrom.com gain by running FreeBSD instead of Solaris ?

Good question.  My guess is that Solaris 2 just couldn't handle that
many connections, but it compete reasonably well with fewer
connections (say 1000).  I'll copy the FreeBSD chat people and see
what they think.

For -chat: Sun have announced their intention to release the source
code of Solaris [2.]8.  We're discussing what this means.  See
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/source/ for more details.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 13:02:23 +0000 (GMT)
From: Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To: Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com>
cc: "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg at begemot.org>,
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:26:41 -0500
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
To: "Joerg B. Micheel" <joerg at begemot.org>
Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 06:04:06PM +1300, Joerg B. Micheel wrote:

> > > 	Agreed.  I have run Solaris (only up thru 2.6 though) in its
> > > 	"native" environment (Sun hardware) and even there the performance
> > > 	is not anything one would write home about.  The difference between
> > > 	SunOS 4.1.x and Solaris 2.x is dramatic in favor on the older leaner
> > > 	system.
> >
> > That's my experience too, but it may not be typical.  For a large
> > system with a large number of processes (e.g. ftp server) the
> > comparison could be very different.
>
> That would make quite an interesting test. How much does ftp.cdrom.com
> gain by running FreeBSD instead of Solaris ?

How can anyone know that it gains anything at all?  To begin with, it's
never *run* Solaris, so there's no way to draw any kind of meaningful
comparison.

The dirty little secret of Linux and *BSD is that their ascendance has
been tightly coupled to Sun's utter inability to build fast, cheap
uniprocessor machines.  Any way you slice it, a single-processor top-of-
the-line x86 box is just going to be a *lot* faster and cheaper than
Sun's entry-level multiprocessor.  The great gamble they made was to
turn their kernel into a highly-multithreaded thing of beauty -- but
that *has* to cost some (even some small) amount of uniprocessor
performance, and since they can't build cheap multiprocesors that are
as fast as the high end of the commodity uniprocessor x86 boxes,
for a lot of applications they lose.

Even on a 2- or 4- processor machine, Solaris is demonstrably far
faster than *BSD or Linux for many workloads.  But you can buy a
single-processor x86 that's cheaper than Sun's 2- or 4- processor
box now, which is why people run Linux or FreeBSD or NetBSD.  There
is still a point at which the only way to get enough performance is
to add more processors, and at that point Solaris still wins, and
will for the forseeable (by me, at least) future.

Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls at rek.tjls.com
	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"

From: "emanuel stiebler" <emu@ecubics.com>
To: <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 08:49:19 -0700
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

> The dirty little secret of Linux and *BSD is that their ascendance has
> been tightly coupled to Sun's utter inability to build fast, cheap
> uniprocessor machines.  Any way you slice it, a single-processor top-of-
> the-line x86 box is just going to be a *lot* faster and cheaper than
> Sun's entry-level multiprocessor.  The great gamble they made was to
> turn their kernel into a highly-multithreaded thing of beauty -- but
> that *has* to cost some (even some small) amount of uniprocessor
> performance, and since they can't build cheap multiprocesors that are
> as fast as the high end of the commodity uniprocessor x86 boxes,
> for a lot of applications they lose.
>
> Even on a 2- or 4- processor machine, Solaris is demonstrably far
> faster than *BSD or Linux for many workloads.  But you can buy a
> single-processor x86 that's cheaper than Sun's 2- or 4- processor
> box now, which is why people run Linux or FreeBSD or NetBSD.  There
> is still a point at which the only way to get enough performance is
> to add more processors, and at that point Solaris still wins, and
> will for the forseeable (by me, at least) future.

Another thing to mention is also, that it is very easy to build your own
kernel, exctly for your needs in Linux or *BSD. (removing all
emulations/compatibility modes, ...) so you get a nice small/fast kernel
excactly for your type of machine & workload.

Don't think it's so easy on a sun.

cheers,
emanuel

From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <lennox@alcita.com>
To: UNIX Heritage Society <pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au>
Date: 27 Jan 2000 11:55:30 -0500
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com> writes:
> > After looking at the site, it seems as though Sun is trying to
> > prevent licence holders from sharing code with other licence
> > holders.
>
> I'm not 100% sure what they mean here.  Nobody can stop you
> distributing software you wrote as long as it doesn't contain
> proprietary Sun code.  You could do that with diffs.

Can I really?  Any diffs are necessarily going to contain some of the
original proprietary code.  It depends on how aggressive Sun's lawyers
are going to be about preventing any co-operative development of
Solaris which is not mediated by Sun.  From their website, it seems
that Sun wants to be firmly in control of that process.

This is in contrast to the Ancient UNIX licence, where it's my
impression that SCO really doesn't care what you do with UNIX so long
as you don't share code with unlicensed people.

> > If this is true, it would certainly make the Solaris licence less
> > desirable to hobbyists than the ancient UNIX licence, unfortunately.
>
> I think it is anyway.  For hobby purposes, I'd much rather use either
> 4.4BSD (for modern usage) or one of the old UNIXes.

For practical purposes I agree, although I'm intrigued enough by the
extremely modular design of Solaris to think it might be fun to spend
some time playing with.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
              Invest in America -- buy a Congressman!