The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Ken_Welsch_v6 and Dennis_v6
@ 2001-04-14 15:01 Wolfgang Helbig
From: Wolfgang Helbig @ 2001-04-14 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm referring to the Ken_Welsch_v6 description in
	http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/TUHS/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/DETAILS

The Ken Welsch tape differs from the Dennis disks only in the "RESTRICTED RIGHTS"-
statement that was put into /usr/sys/ken/main.c on October 10th 1975 EDT.
The binaries that depend on this change, were rebuilt (usr/sys/lib1 and the
kernels in /) and thus show the same modification date.

All other files from the Ken Welsch tape bear a timestamp between May 14th 1975
and July 18th 1975.

After installation from the Ken Welsch tape onto a (simulated) RK-disk
the date(1) command displays:
	October 10 12:29:51 EDT 1975
(which in Australia is October 11th. That might explain, why the
dates given in the DETAILS file are off by one)

Wolfgang

Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:38:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bill Gunshannon <bill@cs.scranton.edu>
Subject: [pups] PDP-11/24 -- BA11-A help needed
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

Is there anyone here with experience working on a PDP-11/24 in a BA11-A
box??  I am trying to more mine from a broken BA11-L to a working BA11-A
and I need some help with where one of the cables from the control panel
goes.

Anyone??

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:05:49 -0400
From: Ken Wellsch <kwellsch@tampabay.rr.com>
To: Wolfgang Helbig <helbig at Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
CC: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Subject: Re: [pups] Ken_Welsch_v6 and Dennis_v6
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

I always wondered why when booting the image it did not print the
notice so often displayed with V6.  I've not looked at the physical
tape this image was pulled from in many years, but I cannot imagine
the fine folks at the University of Waterloo (where I worked for
many years) would have changed anything.  So I would gather from
your detective work that based on dates, this tape just predates
that provided by Dennis Richie by such a short time?  I do know
that the physical paper label on the tape was hand written.  Not
the typed sort I expected with any sort of (c) notice or anything.

-- Ken

Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 20:48:45 +0200 (CEST)
From: Wolfgang Helbig <helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
To: helbig at Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, kwellsch at tampabay.rr.com
Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au

> I always wondered why when booting the image it did not print the
> notice so often displayed with V6.  I've not looked at the physical
> tape this image was pulled from in many years, but I cannot imagine
> the fine folks at the University of Waterloo (where I worked for
> many years) would have changed anything.  So I would gather from
> your detective work that based on dates, this tape just predates
> that provided by Dennis Richie by such a short time?  I do know

No, the other way round: The tape you provided is from October 10th
and the disk image provided by Dennis is from July 18th. The
"RESTRICED RIGHT"- remark was put into the kernel on October 10th.
It is on the tape that you provided, it is not on the disk image
from Dennis.  But the source code from the Lions book shows this
remark as well.

I don't know who changed main.c on October 10th 1975 (I lived in Israel
at that time)

You see the remark only if you set the switch register on the PDP-11
to a nonzero value befor booting. I installed V6 from the tape
following the setup instructions. With the Supnik simulator, enter
	sim > d sr 1
	sim > boot rk0
	@rkunix

And it will print your rights!

Wolfgang

* [pups] Ken_Welsch_v6 and Dennis_v6
@ 2001-04-16 15:34 Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2001-04-16 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

Yes, I saw the "rights" declaration (with a non-zero switch register) on
a real machine (PDP-11/34a with programmer's panel), when I booted Ken's
v6 distribution in single-user mode (there is a specific value you enter
into the register, 173030, as documented in bproc.8; does anyone know
why this value was used?).

I'm not sure why, but I was never able to get Dennis' distribution to
boot in the emulator; as a result, I didn't take the time to copy it
over to an RK05 (using Warren's excellent tools) to boot on the 11/34.

-- Ian