The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] UNIX "time-line"
@ 2001-11-07  9:27 asmodai
From: asmodai @ 2001-11-07  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi guys,

I'm working on a UNIX time-line database.
Its pretty basic atm - I've yet to hunt down the majority of SysV vendors
out there.

I'm currently looking for early releases, and V6/V7 offshoots (such as
PWB).
The data I'm looking for is vendor, strain, version, and date of release
(such as AIX, version 4.3.2, released 05/10/1998, SVR4, IBM etc)

Does anyone know of any sites that would give that kind of information for
the V6/V7 and earlier releases?

The database is currently at http://www.unixware.org.uk/test.php.  There
isn't much to look at atm, I've yet to code the PHP interface, thought it
would be best to complete the database first though :-)

I'm hoping that, one day, it will contain a complete listing of all UNIX
releases, clones, and offshoots... well, I can dream ;-)

Regards,
Paul.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [pups] UNIX "time-line"
@ 2001-11-07 23:11 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2001-11-07 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by asmodai at unixware.org.uk:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm working on a UNIX time-line database.

Please have a look ay my existing time-line at:
http://minnie.tuhs.org/Unix_History/index.html

and also Eric Levenz's site at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/

If you get any firm dates, especially with good references, can you
pass them on to me?!

Thanks,
	Warren

* [pups] UNIX "time-line"
@ 2001-11-07 23:22 ` Cyrille Lefevre
From: Cyrille Lefevre @ 2001-11-07 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

asmodai at unixware.org.uk wrote:
> I'm working on a UNIX time-line database.
> Its pretty basic atm - I've yet to hunt down the majority of SysV vendors
> out there.
>
> I'm currently looking for early releases, and V6/V7 offshoots (such as
> PWB).
> The data I'm looking for is vendor, strain, version, and date of release
> (such as AIX, version 4.3.2, released 05/10/1998, SVR4, IBM etc)
>
> Does anyone know of any sites that would give that kind of information for
> the V6/V7 and earlier releases?

I suppose you already known this link :)

	http://minnie.tuhs.org/TUHS/unixhist.html

not sure about this one (in french) :

	http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/

> The database is currently at http://www.unixware.org.uk/test.php.  There
> isn't much to look at atm, I've yet to code the PHP interface, thought it
> would be best to complete the database first though :-)

*BSD aren't up to date. you'll find last announcements here :

	http://clefevre.citeweb.net/freebsd/release.tgz

which is based on :

	ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/release/

but up to date.

> I'm hoping that, one day, it will contain a complete listing of all UNIX
> releases, clones, and offshoots... well, I can dream ;-)

Cyrille.
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:clefevre at citeweb.net

* [pups] UNIX "time-line"
@ 2001-11-07 23:34   ` Asmodai
From: Asmodai @ 2001-11-07 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday 07 November 2001 11:11 pm, Warren Toomey wrote:
> In article by asmodai at unixware.org.uk:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I'm working on a UNIX time-line database.
>
> Please have a look ay my existing time-line at:
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/Unix_History/index.html

Looking through that one again now :)

> and also Eric Levenz's site at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/

That site is the basis for what I have at the moment, though I hope to start
tracking down and mailing people from vendors to get definate dates and to
fill in the "gaps" pretty soon.

> If you get any firm dates, especially with good references, can you
> pass them on to me?!

Yes, no problem at all.  I'll forward any results from vendors or other
sources on to you :)

I have had something back from Caldera/SCO regarding XENIX , OpenServer, and
UnixWare - both time-line and licensing.

I dont think they're confirmed dates - I'd have to boot back into WinDOHze to
find out - I wish Lotus would write a "native" Notes client for UNIX.

There are a couple of "unknowns" on my list that I'd love to hear about -
namely LSX (V6-based),  and MIPS OS (possibly BSD-based)...   MERT, RT and TS
were on this list, but I see they're on the TUHS page :)

Regards,
Paul