The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: tls@rek.tjls.com (Thor Lancelot Simon)
Subject: [pups] Re: [TUHS] Unix Archive now available anonymously
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:26:27 -0500	[thread overview]

On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 06:12:38PM -0500, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Warren Toomey <wkt at minnie.tuhs.org> writes:
> > You know this means that Net/2, 4.xBSD and 2.11BSD are all freely available
> > now :)
>
> Not quite. Although it is obvious that UCB would intend those files to
> be freely available, they never had a UCB license on their diffs from
> 32V per se.
>
> It is my understanding that Kirk McKusick is working on getting this
> rectified by the UCB people shortly.

Oh, one other thing that springs to mind: I'm not sure Ultrix-32 is strictly
OK to have in the archive, either; when I first tried to buy an Ultrix source
license (for Ultrix 3.1 at that time, and then again for Ultrix 4.0) I was
told that I needed not a 32V license, which I had, but a SVR2 license, which
was basically unobtainable at that time, before DEC would sell me an Ultrix
source distribution.  Did someone correct this misunderstanding before Ultrix
was placed in the archive?

Thor