The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Problems booting PDP11/40 using vtserver
@ 2002-01-28 23:11 John Holden
From: John Holden @ 2002-01-28 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I have my PDP11/40 connected to a MicroVAX 2 (running NetBSD/vax
> 1.5.2) via serial line and want to boot a 2.9BSD or 2.11BSD using the
> vtserver software.

2.11BSD won't work on a PDP11/40, although 2.9BSD should. If the secondary boot
loaded, you should get a prompt '40Boot' for your processor. You haven't said
how much memory you have. Also, the 11/40 has several cpu options, and the
memory management and line time clock options are required for Unix to work.
Check that there is a register at 772340. If it is not there, then the memory
management options isn't installed.

PS

The only flow control settyings that will work is XON/XOFF. The DL style
interfaces used on all PDP11 consoles, have no useful silo, and interupts
for each character input or output. None of the kernels I know support the
dataset signals, other than some will assert DTR on open.

* [pups] Problems booting PDP11/40 using vtserver
@ 2002-02-04 17:36 Fred N. van Kempen
From: Fred N. van Kempen @ 2002-02-04 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

.. and I'm actually still alive, although only barely... :)

I'll respond to Michael in email, and summarize here..

--f

            InterNetworking en Network Security Consultant
   MicroWalt Corporation (Netherlands), Korte Heul 95, 1403 ND BUSSUM
  Phone +31 (35) 6980059 FAX +31 (35) 6980215  http://WWW.MicroWalt.NL/

Dit  bericht  en  eventuele bijlagen is  uitsluitend  bestemd  voor  de
geadresseerde.  Openbaarmaking,   vermenigvuldiging,  verspreiding  aan
derden  is  niet  toegestaan.   Er   wordt   geen  verantwoordelijkheid
genomen  voor de juiste en  volledige  overbrenging van  de inhoud  van
dit bericht, noch voor de tijdige ontvangst ervan.

* [pups] Problems booting PDP11/40 using vtserver
@ 2002-01-30  3:20 John Holden
From: John Holden @ 2002-01-30  3:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

As I and other people mentioned in previous postings, it's likely that your
11/40 is missing memory management or EIS cpu options. In case the legend is
missing from your system box (not uncommon), I have updated my web page :-

	http://www.psych.usyd.edu.au/pdp-11/11_40.html

to show board numbers and locations

* [pups] Problems booting PDP11/40 using vtserver
@ 2002-01-29 16:38 ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2002-01-29 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Michael Werner wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have my PDP11/40 connected to a MicroVAX 2 (running NetBSD/vax
> 1.5.2) via serial line and want to boot a 2.9BSD or 2.11BSD using the
> vtserver software.
> When I toggle in vtserver's boot code, the first file is being loaded
> correctly by the PDP. Then, following the instructions in vtserver
> documentation, the serial line should be used as a serial console - and
> some text should appear! And this is the problem: I don't get any output.

Aha! So the first file gets transferred correctly?
Then your problem is totally withing that transferred file. My guess is
that it don't know your hardware well enough.

Does your machine have EIS? Does the code expect EIS to exist? How about
22-bit mode? I/D space?
FP perhaps?

There are a lot of potential problems...

> When manually sending characters from the PDP, there is no problem.

So? If you even manage to get the first file accress, the problem isn't
anything with your communication link.

	Johnny

                                  ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books

* [pups] Problems booting PDP11/40 using vtserver
@ 2002-01-29 13:16   ` Michael Werner
From: Michael Werner @ 2002-01-29 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johnny,

On Mon, 28 Jan 2002, Johnny Billquist wrote:
[...]
> Got the source code for that bootstrap?

Yes, I think.  It's the source code included in the vtserver2.3a-20010404
package. (Warren, this is the version I'm using.)

Greetings - Michi

* [pups] Problems booting PDP11/40 using vtserver
@ 2002-01-29  5:10 ` Kirk B. Davis
From: Kirk B. Davis @ 2002-01-29  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hmm, tricky. If you send me the 11/40, I'll have look for you :-)

Kirk

> Hi there,
>
> I have my PDP11/40 connected to a MicroVAX 2 (running NetBSD/vax
> 1.5.2) via serial line and want to boot a 2.9BSD or 2.11BSD using
the
> vtserver software.
> When I toggle in vtserver's boot code, the first file is being loaded
> correctly by the PDP. Then, following the instructions in vtserver
> documentation, the serial line should be used as a serial console -
and
> some text should appear! And this is the problem: I don't get any
> output.
>
> When manually sending characters from the PDP, there is no
problem.
> I've set the serial line characteristics to:
> Speed 2400, Character Size 8, Modem Control enabled, and RTS/
CTS flow
> control disabled. (I've changed these characteristics in many ways
with
> stty, but still no success...)
> Using a break-out-box, I switched RTS/CTS and DTR/CTS flow
control on
> and off, forced the CTS line to be on, etc., but it still didn't work.
> After successfully loading the bootloader via vtserver, the PDP's
CPU

@ 2002-01-28 22:53 ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2002-01-28 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 26 Jan 2002, Michael Werner wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have my PDP11/40 connected to a MicroVAX 2 (running NetBSD/vax
> 1.5.2) via serial line and want to boot a 2.9BSD or 2.11BSD using the
> vtserver software.
> When I toggle in vtserver's boot code, the first file is being loaded
> correctly by the PDP. Then, following the instructions in vtserver
> documentation, the serial line should be used as a serial console - and
> some text should appear! And this is the problem: I don't get any output.
>
> When manually sending characters from the PDP, there is no problem.

Okay. If it isn't a problem when you do it by hand it shouldn't be a
problem in the program either.

@ 2002-01-28 22:08 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-01-28 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-01-27 18:03 Michael Werner

[...]