The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] PDP11-23
@ 2002-02-16 12:30 Pieter Visser
From: Pieter Visser @ 2002-02-16 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I ám still have a working Dec pdp11-23. It runs on CTS-300 with 10 Mb Harddisk and a Tape drive for back-ups
I think the programm is writen in dibol.

I f you want more information about this system please reply by email

If anyone can help me with the following questions.

Can i connect an windows/dos sytem to the pdp11-23 and run the program.
Is it possible to copy the program and run it on a Windows/Dos based machine.

Hope to hear from sombody,

Pieter Visser
The Netherlands
e-mail p.visser at tip.nl
handy    +31-(0)6-53630275
phone    +31-(0)165-313597
work      +31-(0)76-5022800
fax         +31-(0)76-5022090
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [pups] PDP11-23
@ 2002-02-16 14:09 ` Johnny Billquist
From: Johnny Billquist @ 2002-02-16 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, Pieter.

> If anyone can help me with the following questions.

We can always try.

> Can i connect an windows/dos sytem to the pdp11-23 and run the program.

Yes. Use any terminal emulator on the PC, and use it the same way as you
are using some other terminal right now.

> Is it possible to copy the program and run it on a Windows/Dos based machine.

Not as such. However, there do exist PDP-11 emulators for the PC, which
means you could copy the whole operating system, and everything else
associated (I hope you don't have any special hardware though) it should
be runnable. Look a e11 (http://www.dbit.com) for such a system.
Another option is a PDP-11 system on a card that you put into your PC,
made by Strobe Data (http://www.strobe.com).

	Johnny

                                  ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books

* [pups] PDP11-23
@ 2002-02-16 15:46   ` Bill Gunshannon
From: Bill Gunshannon @ 2002-02-16 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> > Is it possible to copy the program and run it on a Windows/Dos based machine.
>
> Not as such. However, there do exist PDP-11 emulators for the PC, which
> means you could copy the whole operating system, and everything else
> associated (I hope you don't have any special hardware though) it should
> be runnable. Look a e11 (http://www.dbit.com) for such a system.
> Another option is a PDP-11 system on a card that you put into your PC,
> made by Strobe Data (http://www.strobe.com).

Actually, I think he was thinking of the application rather than the
whole system.  Was there ever a DIBOL compiler for the PC??  Was there
ever a DIBOL compiler for any non-DEC systems??  Would it be possible
(and maybe even fun) to either write a DIBOL to C translater (like p2c
or f2c) or even a DIBOL front end to GCC??  Would there be any interest
in having DIBOL available again??

I think the above questions should easily show that even though I have
the DIBOL manual and probably even have a copy of the compiler on a tape
somewhere, I have never used or even looked at the language.  I have,
however, heard a lot of comments praising it.

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |