The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 4.4BSD-Lite binaries for SPARC and PMAX
       [not found] <20020220193912.A195476@MissSophie.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
@ 2002-02-21  1:10 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-02-21  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Warren, maybe you know a PUPS volunteer in the USA that has appropriate
> equipment and experience to do this job? This would also reduce shipping
> efforts and cost for Mr. McKusick. (And risk of damage of the tapes, as
> it would avoid shipping across the "big pond".)

I've just sent some mail to Tim Shoppa, asking if he would be willing
to read the tapes for us.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [TUHS] 4.4BSD-Lite binaries for SPARC and PMAX
@ 2002-02-21  2:03   ` Tim Shoppa
From: Tim Shoppa @ 2002-02-21  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > Warren, maybe you know a PUPS volunteer in the USA that has appropriate
> > equipment and experience to do this job? This would also reduce shipping
> > efforts and cost for Mr. McKusick. (And risk of damage of the tapes, as
> > it would avoid shipping across the "big pond".)
>
> I've just sent some mail to Tim Shoppa, asking if he would be willing
> to read the tapes for us.

I'd be glad to help out.  In in the Washington DC area.

Although I have to admit I haven't been following the mailing list
lately - what tapes have been found and where are they?

I *think* I've got some 4.4-ish tapes for some other architectures
already, but I don't think for PMAX or SPARC.

Tim.

* [TUHS] 4.4BSD-Lite binaries for SPARC and PMAX
@ 2002-02-21  8:13     ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2002-02-21  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2002.02.21 03:03 Tim Shoppa wrote:

> Although I have to admit I haven't been following the mailing list
> lately - what tapes have been found and where are they?
This was a off list discussion with The High Priest of the Daemon, Mr.
Kirk McKusick himself. He possibly still has the original 4.4BSD SPARC
and PMAX distribution tapes. He is willing to give them to me to read
them for transfering the contens into the TUHS archive. Unfortunately my
9 track tape does only 1600 / 3200 BPI and I assume the tapes are 6250
BPI... Also if someone in the USA can do the job it would reduce
shipping cost and efforts for Mr. McKusick, because I am beyond the "big
pond".

> I *think* I've got some 4.4-ish tapes for some other architectures
> already, but I don't think for PMAX or SPARC.
In the archive is only 4.4BSD-ALPHA with hp300 binarys, so... [beging
smile]
--

tschüß,
         Jochen

* [TUHS] 4.4BSD-Lite binaries for SPARC and PMAX
@ 2002-02-21 14:22       ` Jeffrey S. Sharp
From: Jeffrey S. Sharp @ 2002-02-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> Also if someone in the USA can do the job it would reduce shipping cost
> and efforts for Mr. McKusick, because I am beyond the "big pond".

Also, be aware that many shippers will not insure international shipments.
If a UPS worker knows that the contents of a particular truck are not
insured, how do you think he/she would treat them?

Someone in the USA surely has an appropriate tape drive.  With the list's
permission, I'd like to ask the members of the classiccmp and SunRescue
lists for help.  To whom should I direct them?

--
Jeffrey S. Sharp
jss at subatomix.com

* [TUHS] 4.4BSD-Lite binaries for SPARC and PMAX
@ 2002-02-21 15:59         ` Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2002-02-21 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 08:22:17AM -0600, Jeffrey S. Sharp wrote:

> Also, be aware that many shippers will not insure international shipments.
> If a UPS worker knows that the contents of a particular truck are not
> insured, how do you think he/she would treat them?
This is an other reason I thought about, but did not write it down...
I am sure I can get a 6250 BPI 9 track tape here in Germany,
possibly from a friend in my city, but then there is still the
shipping problem...

> Someone in the USA surely has an appropriate tape drive.  With the list's
> permission, I'd like to ask the members of the classiccmp and SunRescue
> lists for help.  To whom should I direct them?
Tim Shoppa has already taken this job. Thanks to him and Mr. McKusick
for donating their precious time to this project. :-)
--

tschüß,
         Jochen

* [TUHS] 4.4BSD-Lite binaries for SPARC and PMAX
@ 2002-02-13 22:10 Jochen Kunz
From: Jochen Kunz @ 2002-02-13 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)