The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: sms@2BSD.COM (Steven M. Schultz)
Subject: [pups] missing space in 2.11_rp_unknown
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 19:31:49 -0800 (PST)	[thread overview]

Hi!

> From: Christian Groessler <cpg at aladdin.de>
> I'm running above image with the p11 emulator, and the root partition
> is almost full.
>
> # df
> Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
> root             7816     7030      786    10%    /
>
> but looking at files, I only see 2MB+ in use:
>
> # du -s /
> 2702

> This persists over reboots, so it doesn't seem to be a large deleted
> file which is still in use.

	It might be a corrupt freelist.   If that is the case then running
	fsck will detect that fact and reclaim the space by rebuilding the
	freelist.

> Where is the missing space?

	My guess is it's "missing" - that can happen if the system's shutdown
	(or the emulator terminated) prematurely.   In that case the freelist
	metadata might not have been updated.

	I see Greg mentioned running fsck.   That sounds like an excellent
	suggestion.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz
	sms at 2bsd.com