The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] v7 upgrade
@ 2002-02-19 21:19 Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2002-02-19 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

There were ports of PCC to the 8086, Z8000, and 68000 done by
MIT's Laboratory for Computer Science. This might be a more
historically correct place to start.

* [TUHS] v7 upgrade
@ 2002-02-19 23:58 ` M E Leypold @ labnet
From: M E Leypold @ labnet @ 2002-02-19 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

Al Kossow writes:

 > There were ports of PCC to the 8086, Z8000, and 68000 done by
 > MIT's Laboratory for Computer Science. This might be a more
 > historically correct place to start.

I alway wondered, wether the source of these ports is available
somewhere. I bet it isn't.

Regards -- Markus

* [TUHS] v7 upgrade
@ 2002-08-08 23:16   ` Mike Haertel
From: Mike Haertel @ 2002-08-08 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm fairly sure I once saw the MIT 68k port of PCC
on a Usenix tape.  No idea which one, but probably
around 1982 or so.

* [TUHS] v7 upgrade
@ 2002-08-08 23:49     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-08-08 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by Mike Haertel:
> I'm fairly sure I once saw the MIT 68k port of PCC
> on a Usenix tape.  No idea which one, but probably
> around 1982 or so.

I just looked in the Usenix tapes in the Unix Archive, no luck. The closest
I could find is the directory delaware/cwru.v7/pcc in the file
Applications/Spencer_Tapes/del.tar.gz, but this looks like a PDP-11
version and not a port.

	Warren

* [TUHS] Re: pcc ports
@ 2002-08-10  0:09   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2002-08-10  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article by M E Leypold @ labnet:
> Al Kossow writes:
>  > There were ports of PCC to the 8086, Z8000, and 68000 done by
>  > MIT's Laboratory for Computer Science. This might be a more
>  > historically correct place to start.
> I alway wondered, wether the source of these ports is available
> somewhere. I bet it isn't.
> Regards -- Markus

Al has sent in the PCC ports mentioned to the Unix Archive. They are
now available on the primary site at both:

   http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Applications/Portable_CC/
   ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixArchive/Applications/Portable_CC/

The mirror sites should pick these up soon.

Thanks Al!
	Warren

* [TUHS] Re: pcc ports
@ 2002-08-11  0:37 Christian Groessler
From: Christian Groessler @ 2002-08-11  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 08/10/2002 04:54:16 PM MST Al Kossow wrote:

>> I see there no version for the Z8000 but for the 16032. Was there
>> really a Z8000 version?
>
>http://www.lcs.mit.edu/about/architects.html
>
>"Fortunately for Ward, by 1980 the community of computer researchers
>had grown from a few labs to a few dozen---and for the most part, the
>research community was moving in one particular direction: UNIX, the
>castrated Multics operating system that had been spawned from Bell
>Labs. UNIX was loved because it was small and portable, which meant
>that it would be easy for Ward to get the operating system running on
>the NuMachine. The group got the UNIX source code from Bell Labs and
>ported the operating system to three different microprocessors: the
>Zilog Z8000, the Intel 8086, and the Motorola 68000. Although it
>would not be clear for several years, by building a single-user
>computer with a bitmapped display, a network interface, and a
>powerful microprocessor, Ward's group had just created one of the
>world's first UNIX workstations.
>"

Hmm, but where is it? :-)

regards,