The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Subject: [TUHS] The ^ = | ?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 09:40:03 +0800	[thread overview]

On Thursday, 23 January 2003 at 22:09:51 -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:

> By the Fourth Edition (November 1973) there had evidently been more
> time to think about the syntax; the modern notation is shown, except
> that ^ is allowed as a synonym for |.  I have long guessed that was
> because in those dark days of the past, some upper-case-only
> terminals (remember stty lcase?)  offered no way to type | (and
> perhaps likewise {}`~) but I don't really know.

Certainly the [AK]SR-33 didn't have {}~.  I had this funny feeling
that they did have |, but it doesn't make sense, and I'm probably
wrong.

A thing to recall is that the shape of some of the symbols was
somewhat different in those days.  In particular, _ was a backarrow
(pointing left), and ^ was an uparrow, making it look much more like |
than it appears nowadays.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key