The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: imp@bsdimp.com (M. Warner Losh)
Subject: [TUHS] SCO vs. IBM: NOVELL steps up to the plate
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 06:33:54 -0600 (MDT)	[thread overview]

In message: <BAFBB8B1.118%rob at vetsystems.com>
            Robert Tillyard <rob at vetsystems.com> writes:
: I believe the legal action is over breach on contract with IBM and not on
: copyright issues.

All of SCO's statements to the court have been contractual.  Their
statements to the press have been inflated to include things that
aren't actually alledged in the court filings.

: But if it turns out the IBM is guilty of lifting SCO code and putting it
: into Linux I think SCO does have the right to get a bit upset about it,
: after all I wouldn't be to happy if I had to compete with a product that's
: just about free and contains code that I wrote.

That's the rub.  Do they, in point of fact, actually have any code
they own the Copyright to or the patent rights to?

SCO is blustering more and more as the open source community exposes
them for the fruads that they have become.

Warner