The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Re: SIMH compilation problems
       [not found] <20030903020020.5179B1F98@minnie.tuhs.org>
@ 2003-09-03 12:39 ` Rico Pajarola
From: Rico Pajarola @ 2003-09-03 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I was having some problems compiling SIMH on FreeBSD. The reason is, all
>the sources have stray MS-DOS carriage returns (^M), while UNIX only
>uses line-feeds (^J). This causes GCC to misread some of the code. I
>suggest you convert the sources to UNIX text format.
use 'unzip -a' to automatically convert text files when unpacking.

>BTW, why is networking not supported on FreeBSD? Does the pcap driver
>not work?
on FreeBSD you can't send packets directly over bpf (at least not
the same way you can on Net-/OpenBSD). I have patches to make it
use libnet for sending packets. It's a bit rough, but it works. I
can put them up somewhere if anyone is interested.

--rp

* [TUHS] Re: SIMH compilation problems
@ 2003-09-03 17:50   ` list-tuhs
From: list-tuhs @ 2003-09-03 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed,  3 Sep 2003 14:39:28 +0200 (CEST), Rico Pajarola <rp at servium.ch> wrote:

>on FreeBSD you can't send packets directly over bpf (at least not
>the same way you can on Net-/OpenBSD).

FreeBSD certainly does let you send packets over bpf.  If you open the
device (e.g. /dev/bpf0) for both reading and writing, you can write()
a buffer to the device, and the contents of that buffer will be sent
verbatim from that device.  I do this all the time for protocol
testing.

I'm not running NetBSD or OpenBSD currently, so perhaps they support a
richer interface than FreeBSD does, but the essentials are indeed
there.

--Mirian

* [TUHS] Re: SIMH compilation problems
@ 2003-09-04  1:46     ` Kenneth Stailey
From: Kenneth Stailey @ 2003-09-04  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

--- list-tuhs at cosmic.com wrote:
> On Wed,  3 Sep 2003 14:39:28 +0200 (CEST), Rico Pajarola <rp at servium.ch>
> wrote:
> >
> >on FreeBSD you can't send packets directly over bpf (at least not
> >the same way you can on Net-/OpenBSD).
>
> FreeBSD certainly does let you send packets over bpf.  If you open the
> device (e.g. /dev/bpf0) for both reading and writing, you can write()
> a buffer to the device, and the contents of that buffer will be sent
> verbatim from that device.  I do this all the time for protocol
> testing.

It's actually the pcap library not the bpf driver that can't write in FreeBSD
but can in NetBSD.

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/lib/libpcap/pcap-bpf.c

versus:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/contrib/libpcap/pcap-bpf.c