The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Lauch Gui using remote xterm!!
@ 2003-11-08 12:30 Philip, Naveen J (Naveen)
From: Philip, Naveen J (Naveen) @ 2003-11-08 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi
All
I am trying to lauch a xterm window on a remote machine and then once the
xterm window is launched from the remote machine I am trying to start a gui
on the xterm window.
The following is the command I am using to start the xterm .It is failing
and giving the error.

remsh hostname " . /home/john/.profile >/dev/null 2> /dev/null;xterm"
stty: invalid command
xterm Xt error: Can't open display

also can you let  me know once the xterm is open how do we lauch the gui on
the xterm window using the same remoteshell.The gui name is nam_gui.

Regards,
Naveen

* Heritage X (was Re: [TUHS] Lauch Gui using remote xterm!!)
@ 2003-11-09  0:27 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2003-11-09  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Speaking of X on Heritage Unix I have a Sun 3/60M with the 1280x1024 monochrome
> display.  The only display server I have ever gotten to work on it is on NetBSD
> 1.3 running the pre-XFree86 X11R6.
>
> I'm wondering if there are any older UNIXes I could use.

I would more than welcome a volunteer to port 4.3BSD-Quasijarus to m68k.
(Using pcc of course.)  Wanna tackle that one?

MS

* Heritage X (was Re: [TUHS] Lauch Gui using remote xterm!!)
@ 2003-11-11 16:58 Aharon Robbins
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2003-11-11 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:13:16 +1300
> From: Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz>
> Subject: Re: Heritage X (was Re: [TUHS] Lauch Gui using remote xterm!!)
> To: tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org
>
> I've personally thought that Sun should release the source trees of its old
> BSD-based SunOS with the idea of getting back onside with all the Linux and
> Unix people it pissed off by its "buying" a "Unix" license from SCO, the
> Societe Commercial du On-Dit, the Commercial Society of Rumourmongers.

Don't hold your breath. Even SunOS 4.1.x had large chunks of System V Release 3
code in it: all the STREAMS stuff and RFS worked in that environment (not that
anyone ever used it).  Also all of /usr/5bin, /usr/5lib etc.

Arnold

* Heritage X (was Re: [TUHS] Lauch Gui using remote xterm!!)
@ 2003-11-11 21:08 macbiesz
From: macbiesz @ 2003-11-11 21:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

A couple years ago, Sun released Solaris 8 source for free. The whole system is full of SVisms, and AFAIK, the source remains free.

Maciek