The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] SCO To Expand Its Lawsuit Beyond Linux
@ 2003-11-20  3:37 Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-11-20  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I wonder how much trouble 32I will be:

<http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3110981>

Pat

--
Technology is a way of organizing the universe so that man doesn't have
to experience it. -- Max Frisch

* [TUHS] SCO To Expand Its Lawsuit Beyond Linux
@ 2003-11-20  3:55 ` Greg 'groggy' Lehey
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey @ 2003-11-20  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, 19 November 2003 at 22:37:25 -0500, Pat Villani wrote:
> I wonder how much trouble 32I will be:
>
> <http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3110981>

Depends on whether you believe SCO.

  http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/

Greg
* [TUHS] SCO To Expand Its Lawsuit Beyond Linux
@ 2003-11-20  5:03   ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2003-11-20  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Consuming 1.3K bytes, Greg 'groggy' Lehey blathered:
> On Wednesday, 19 November 2003 at 22:37:25 -0500, Pat Villani wrote:
> > I wonder how much trouble 32I will be:
> >
> > <http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3110981>
>
> Depends on whether you believe SCO.
>
>   http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/

I'd say that SCO have pretty convincingly demonstrated that they
cannot be trusted. Would anyone here sign a contract with SCO
today?

Kurt
--
Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
		-- Samuel Goldwyn

* [TUHS] SCO To Expand Its Lawsuit Beyond Linux
@ 2003-11-20 10:45   ` Pat Villani
From: Pat Villani @ 2003-11-20 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know I'm well within my rights to port the code.  I've kept copies of
the license and modified the sources I'm working on to include the
Caldera license, BSD style.  The only potential problem is that it may
be a lightning rod and I could loose permission to complete the project.

Just thought I'd pass along the latest SCO craziness.

Pat

--

@ 2003-11-20 11:14 ` wes.parish
From: wes.parish @ 2003-11-20 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Quoting Pat Villani <patv at monmouth.com>:

> I wonder how much trouble 32I will be:
>
> <http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3110981>
>
> Pat

I'm just reading Groklaw
and I'd have to say that
SCO Group (Quote, Chart) CEO Darl McBride said his company is currently
comparing source code awarded in a 1994 settlement between AT&T's (Quote,
Chart) Unix Systems Laboratories and BSD, in which Berkeley's version of the
Unix source was severed from the proprietary version.

probably describes Darl and co., sitting around a trailerload of raw alcohol
and scrawling something down on a piece of paper each time someone throws up.

Nothing else describes their recent habits.

Wesley Parish

@ 2003-11-20 12:51   ` Paul Ward
From: Paul Ward @ 2003-11-20 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello wes,

wppnn> Quoting Pat Villani <patv at monmouth.com>:

>> I wonder how much trouble 32I will be:
>>
>> <http://www.atnewyork.com/news/article.php/3110981>
>>
>> Pat

wppnn> I'm just reading Groklaw
wppnn> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20031119041719640
wppnn> and I'd have to say that
wppnn> SCO Group (Quote, Chart) CEO Darl McBride said his company is currently
wppnn> comparing source code awarded in a 1994 settlement between AT&T's (Quote,
wppnn> Chart) Unix Systems Laboratories and BSD, in which Berkeley's version of the
wppnn> Unix source was severed from the proprietary version.

wppnn> probably describes Darl and co., sitting around a trailerload of raw alcohol
wppnn> and scrawling something down on a piece of paper each time someone throws up.

wppnn> Nothing else describes their recent habits.

wppnn> Wesley Parish

Minix is probably next on their list for, oh... I dont know... having
concepts remotely in common with 7th edition?

Maybe SCO should do over the Xinu guys too -- just for a laugh.
Oh, and maybe MWC too, just because McBride has obviously had too much
Jolt Cola, or Southern Comfort, or maybe both... mixed in with a lot of
prozac.

But, in answer to their question about "who would you say Unix belongs
to"... I'd have said The Open Group... but it seems that owning the
source code is more important.

Hmm, radical idea here SCO... but, instead of trying to sue everyone
and his goat, why not make UnixWare better than the festering lump it
is now... then you could compete with IBM and Sun etc - oh, and maybe
even fire the troll who thinks that sed is an interactive editor and
wrote so in the UnixWare manual.

P.S. If SCO are of the opinion that IBM have made AIX available under
open source... where can I get the kernel source? ;)

--
Best regards,
 Paul                            mailto:asmodai at ao.mine.nu

* [TUHS] SCO To Expand Its Lawsuit Beyond Linux
@ 2003-11-20 16:04     ` Kurt Wall
From: Kurt Wall @ 2003-11-20 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Consuming 2.1K bytes, Paul Ward blathered:

> Hmm, radical idea here SCO... but, instead of trying to sue everyone
> and his goat, why not make UnixWare better than the festering lump it
> is now... then you could compete with IBM and Sun etc - oh, and maybe
> even fire the troll who thinks that sed is an interactive editor and
> wrote so in the UnixWare manual.

s/troll/moron/ ;-)

Kurt
--
The first myth of management is that it exists.  The second myth of
management is that success equals skill.