The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Quasijarus.Z problem
@ 2004-02-28 17:04 Michael Sokolov
From: Michael Sokolov @ 2004-02-28 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> I downloaded the two Quasijarus distros,

Not sure which two do you mean, but keep in mind that the current release is
4.3BSD-Quasijarus0c, and that Warren's archive is no longer the main
distribution site for 4.3BSD-Quasijarus and is not up to date.  The main
distribution site for 4.3BSD-Quasijarus is ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG.

> I was under the impression that gzip (both standalone and included in tar)
> knew how to handle compress files.  Apparently not.

Use real compress, get it from

ifctfvax.Harhan.ORG:/pub/UNIX/components/compress.tar

I'm using compress -s mode, which produces the same strong compression ratio as
gzip (stronger than original compress), but without the politically unacceptable
letter 'g'.

MS

* [TUHS] Quasijarus.Z problem
@ 2004-02-29  2:08 ` Markus Weber
From: Markus Weber @ 2004-02-29  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just updated the SIMH installation tape and pre-installed disk images to
Quasijarus0c. See www.itsecuritygeek.com, Downloads, Retrocomputing.

Markus

---

* [TUHS] Quasijarus.Z problem
@ 2004-02-29  7:18   ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2004-02-29  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've just started downloading the Quasijarus0c disk image and the tape install
file; I'd been using the tribug.org site, and that only has the Quasijarus0
and Quasijarus0a distributions.

Thanks to all who offered me assistance and pointers.  I appreciate it
greatly.

Wesley Parish

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 15:08, Markus Weber wrote:
> [...]

Wesley Parish
* * *
Clinersterton beademung - in all of love.  RIP James Blish
* * *
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."

* [TUHS] Quasijarus.Z problem
@ 2004-02-28 10:47 Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2004-02-28 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I downloaded the two Quasijarus distros, and tried " tar zxvf *.tar.Z ", and
nothing happened.

I was under the impression that gzip (both standalone and included in tar)
knew how to handle compress files.  Apparently not.

My system's Mandrake 9.2, tar (GNU tar) 1.13.25.  Is there some incantation
I'm not doing?  Any ideas?

Thanks.
--
Wesley Parish