The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: txomsy@yahoo.es (Jose R. Valverde)
Subject: [TUHS] UZI
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:31:47 +0200	[thread overview]

I thought someone might be interested. Regarding UNIX history, it is certainly
interesting, although the code is not directly descended from ATT UNIX, but
rather an independent lineage:

	http://www.dougbraun.com/uzi.html

an implementation of UNIX for Zilog machines. I have been aware of UNIX
initiatives for Zilog since the 80's (some friends of mine worked on a
port for the Z8000), and like to check from time to time is somthing
pops up.

This one is an independent implementation of Unix 7th Ed written from
scratch.

	Link to derivative work to port UZI to the veberable MSX:

	http://uzux.sf.net/

And another interesting one, the One Man Unix (OMU)

	http://tallyho.bc.nu/~steve/omu.html

another one written from scratch, this one for the 6809, and later
ported to the 68000, even with an RT version!

I think it is worth preserving these works as well: they are a huge
tribute to the simplicity of UNIX design and its popularity. Perhaps
they might find some space in the 'others' category of the archive
together with Coherent, Trix and some others?

	These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first!

			    José R. Valverde

	De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural