The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au (Peter Jeremy)
Subject: [TUHS] Redoing "V6on286" or porting V7...?
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 14:40:24 +1100	[thread overview]

On 2005-Nov-14 19:08:52 -0800, Greg Haerr <greg at censoft.com> wrote:
>>  One
>> crucial difference is that Unix has the implicit assumption that the
>> stack is in the data space - which is not true on the 286.  This
>> difference is fairly critical to Unix and makes it impossible to
>> accurately reproduce the traditional Unix memory protection.
>
>I don't understand this.  If SS is set to DS, in any 16 bit mode,
>then doesn't this accomplish the accurate reproduction?  I realize
>that a 32-bit mode would be required for limit checking.

You can make SS and DS the same but this means that there's nothing
stopping the stack growing down into the heap or vice versa.  This
makes the stack accessible from the data space but gives no protection
(note that I was referring to reproducing Unix protection).

--
Peter Jeremy

This email may contain privileged/confidential information. You may not copy or disclose this email to anyone without the written permission of the sender.  If you have received this email in error please kindly delete this message and notify the sender.  Opinions expressed in this email are those of the sender and not necessarily the opinions of the employer.

This email and any attached files should be scanned to detect viruses.  No liability will be accepted by the employer for loss or damage (whether caused by negligence or not) as a result of email transmission.