The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] Figured some things out.
@ 2006-03-08 20:27 Kelli Halliburton
From: Kelli Halliburton @ 2006-03-08 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

I feel just a little bit stupid for not figuring them out sooner, but smart in
being able to figure them out on my own.

Some of you may remember a post I wrote some time ago, dealing with E11
(Ersatz-11) and the RL02 v7 image. I mentioned not being able to get out of
single-user mode, and being unable to view man pages.

Well, as it turns out, I stumbled across the method of getting to multi-user
mode. ^D, imagine that. Dropping out of single-user mode starts multi-user
mode. That's not something I would have been able to use logic to figure out.

And, well, I happened to notice that there was no temp directory, so no wonder
man couldn't create its temp file. A quick little 'mkdir tmp' and that
problem was fixed. Now, that was something I was able to figure out
logically.

Of course, now my problem is that the console is presumed to be a TTY and not
a CRT terminal. And so, man pages just scroll right up and off the screen. Oh
well. I'm sure I'll figure out something. Eventually.

* [pups] Figured some things out.
@ 2006-03-09  0:01 John Holden
From: John Holden @ 2006-03-09  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I was not expecting termcap or curses; I was.. *hoping* (still not expecting)
> that perhaps v7 was new enough that the 'simple' type of CRT terminals, the
> ones that were basically just glass TTYs, were in common use. That it would
> be possible to use stty to set the number of rows to n, and that just maybe
> there would be a 'more' command that would only printout the next n lines.
> You know, simple stuff. Nothing about cursor addressable displays, no special
> codes for clearing the screen, or text attributes, just screen paging. At any
> rate, I may sit down at some point and write a 'more' utility of my own. Not
> that I need it for man pages now that I have the offline version of the
> manual, but there are still things like long directory listings that it would
> be useful for.

Actually, termcap and vi was ported back to V7 very early in the piece,
though you needed an ID space processor (aka PDP11/45/50/55/70) to run vi.
There were several paging programs about, some using termcap. From memory
there was dis, pg and more. The man command didn't do any pagination

Cheers
John