The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: root@dynamite.narpes.com (Charlie ROOT)
Subject: [TUHS] Bob's emulator and ultrix
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:42:32 +0000 (GMT)	[thread overview]

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Warren Toomey wrote:

>      [ Please reply to Bill if you can, I don't know if he's on the list ]
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Bill Cunningham <billcu1 at verizon.net> -----
>
> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 20:32:27 -0400
> From: "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 at verizon.net>
> Subject: Bob's emulator and ultrix
> To: <wkt at tuhs.org>
>
> I can't get the sim 2.3d to boot ultrix 3.1 or xenix or anyother boot tapes
> in the uhs's archive. I have compiled the pdp11 emulator with gcc-3.4.6. I
> am also interested in the OS Tim Berners-Lee used to write his first
> browser. VMS on a VAX machine I have read. Is there anything like this in
> the archive? A VAX emulator and VMS OS?

I've heard of a free VAX emulator called SIMH/vax, and a commercial
one named Charon-VAX (or something), but I've tested neither.  If you're
adventurous enough, you might consider real VAX hardware: the VAXstation
3100 and 4000 series models can be had at reasonable cost, and are not
larger than a desktop PC.  As for VMS, at least the recent 7.x versions
are available more or less freely for hobbyist use.

By the way, are there releases of Xenix that run on PDP-hardware?
I've only ever heard of PC (8086+)-based ones.

-aw