The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] *nixs
@ 2006-04-26 23:33 Bill Cunningham
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2006-04-26 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

    This xenix and venix OS thing. Where did these OSs come from? If minix
and BSD are direct descendants of v4,5,6,7 where does linux fit in here?

Bill

* [TUHS] *nixs
@ 2006-04-27  0:15 ` Michael Parson
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Michael Parson @ 2006-04-27  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 07:33:37PM -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     This xenix and venix OS thing. Where did these OSs come from? If minix
> and BSD are direct descendants of v4,5,6,7 where does linux fit in here?

Xenix was an early UNIX written for the Intel line of processors
originally by Microsoft and later sold off to the Santa Cruz
Organization (SCO).

BSD started off as extentions to the AT&T lines of UNIX, eventually
leading to a lawsuit in the early 90s and the 'Lite' distributions which
were finally free of AT&T code but also marked UCB's exit from the OS
market.

Minix shares no source-code with AT&T or BSD unixes, it was written from
the ground up by AST.

Linux shares no source code with AT&T, BSD, or Minix.  Linus Torvalds
started it as a way to learn i386 asssembly and multitasking.  He
started with Minix as his development platform, but used no code from
it.

This is HIGHLY simplified summary, if you want more in depth
information, a good read is 'A Quarter Centry of Unix' by Peter
H. Salus.  FreeBSD also has a good history file that gives a little
more information thatn I gave here..

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org

* [TUHS] *nixs
@ 2006-04-27  0:25 ` Michael Davidson
From: Michael Davidson @ 2006-04-27  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Cunningham wrote:

>    This xenix and venix OS thing. Where did these OSs come from? If minix
>and BSD are direct descendants of v4,5,6,7 where does linux fit in here?

XENIX was a UNIX variant developed by Microsoft along with Logica
and The Santa Cruz Operation.

It was originally based on V7 and subsequently picked up bits of System III
and System V through System V Release 2.

It ran on PDP-11 (earliest verion only), Motorola 68k, Intel 8086 /
80286 / 80386
and Nat Semi 32000 (not sure if that version was ever released though).

On Intel platforms it appeared as both an OEM offering from companies
such as
Intel and IBM, and as a shrink wrapped end-user product from SCO.

The Linux kernel, by contrast, was developed from scratch and while it
implements the
UNIX system calls and interfaces it has no other relation to the
original AT&T UNIX
line.

* [TUHS] *nixs
@ 2006-04-27  0:35 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2006-04-27  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 07:33:37PM -0400, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     This xenix and venix OS thing. Where did these OSs come from? If minix
> and BSD are direct descendants of v4,5,6,7 where does linux fit in here?

Minix, like Linux, was written from scratch, and isn't derived from UNIX.

	Warren

* [TUHS] *nixs
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-04-27  8:26 ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2006-04-27  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message: <000701c66989$d8aa18e0$1901a8c0 at myhome.westell.com>
            "Bill Cunningham" <billcu1 at verizon.net> writes:
:     This xenix and venix OS thing. Where did these OSs come from? If minix
: and BSD are direct descendants of v4,5,6,7 where does linux fit in here?

venix was a v6 port to the 8086 and pdp-11 (the Digital Professional
computers).  It was notable because it ran on the Digital Rainbow 100.
Later there was a 286 port of v7.  I believe venturacom created this
port.

Warner