The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 31, Issue 9
@ 2006-05-19 14:33 patv
From: patv @ 2006-05-19 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I don't want to go back.  Linux is pretty nice.  Maybe they'll fuck it
> up, that seems to be a Unix OS tradition, but so far so good.
> --
> ---
> Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com

I hate when these discussions become religious.  What I initially said was
I'd love to see what would happen if a TOG branded UNIX were open source.
 As for which one, I don't really care.  It doesn't matter which.  The
hypothetical scenario is if suddenly there was a "Open Source UNIX" out
there, what would happen to all the FUD and other marketing spin?

This hypothetical OS could easily be a Linux based GNU distribution,
almost any BSD, or some other OS out there. I just mentioned OSF/1 because
it already has been branded UNIX.

Pat

This message was sent using Monmouth Internet MI-Webmail.
http://www.monmouth.com/

* [TUHS] TUHS Digest, Vol 31, Issue 9
@ 2006-05-24 21:35 Berny 'Scouser' Goodheart
From: Berny 'Scouser' Goodheart @ 2006-05-24 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 22 May 2006, 19:38:21 -0700, Larry McVoy wrote:

>But the point being made was that I've been around the block, I've worked
on and/or looked hard at many different Unix variants and I'm not at all sad
to see them go.

Why are you here then?

It's a fact that many of the big-gun Unix vendors have moved on but Unix

development continues to persist, so don't put it down yet. Unix is still

very much alive and kicking. Unix has been around forever and the Unicies

that remain still offer enough diversions to mix up the market and make

things interesting for us all. If Linux was the only Unix like system out

there then what would happen if Linux went belly-up. It could easily

happen if the big Linux vendors Redhat, Suse etc went to the dogs. Having

other Unix systems out their competing with each other as well as Linux is

healthy.