The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] PDP-11
@ 2006-06-12  2:26 Bill Cunningham
From: Bill Cunningham @ 2006-06-12  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Did these old minis use a teletype or a monitor as stdout? The pictures
I've seen of them looks like they used a printout as stdout.

Bill

* [pups] PDP-11
@ 2006-06-12  2:43 ` Kelli Halliburton
From: Kelli Halliburton @ 2006-06-12  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sunday 11 June 2006 09:26 pm, Bill Cunningham wrote:
>     Did these old minis use a teletype or a monitor as stdout? The pictures
> I've seen of them looks like they used a printout as stdout.

V7 assumes a teletype and has little or no provision for anything else. There
are retrofits for termcap and ncurses out there, though.

* [pups] PDP-11
@ 2006-06-12  3:17   ` Frank Wortner
From: Frank Wortner @ 2006-06-12  3:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kelli Halliburton wrote
> V7 assumes a teletype and has little or no provision for anything else.

Having used it in "the good old days," I can only assure you that this
was totally true.  I thought we were truly in heaven when we upgraded
from 110 baud Teletypes to 1200 baud Decwriters!  My goodness, I feel
really old just now.  :-)

Frank

* [pups] PDP-11
@ 2006-06-12  3:29     ` Ian King
From: Ian King @ 2006-06-12  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [pups] PDP-11
@ 2006-06-12  4:01       ` Frank Wortner
From: Frank Wortner @ 2006-06-12  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ian King wrote:
> I remember reworking the serial card on a PDP-8/e to talk to a 2400
> baud "glass teletype," f
Thanks for all the nostalgic comments.  Now I feel (a few months)
younger.  :-)

Frank

* [pups] PDP-11
@ 2006-06-12  5:11         ` Carl Lowenstein
From: Carl Lowenstein @ 2006-06-12  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/11/06, Frank Wortner <frank at wortner.com> wrote:
> Ian King wrote:
> > I remember reworking the serial card on a PDP-8/e to talk to a 2400
> > baud "glass teletype," f
> Thanks for all the nostalgic comments.  Now I feel (a few months)
> younger.  :-)

If you had ever attached a DEC VT05 (glass teletype) to your Sixth
Edition or Seventh Edition Unix system you would understand why the
Usenix monthly magazine is named ";login:".   The user prompt contains
escape sequences to control a model 37 Teletype, but the VT05 doesn't
respond to them, and in fact ignores the <esc> character and just
displays the semicolon and colon part of the escape sequences.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu

* [pups] PDP-11
@ 2006-06-12  7:21           ` David Evans
From: David Evans @ 2006-06-12  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Jun 11, 2006 at 10:11:07PM -0700, Carl Lowenstein wrote:
> If you had ever attached a DEC VT05 (glass teletype) to your Sixth
> Edition or Seventh Edition Unix system you would understand why the
> Usenix monthly magazine is named ";login:".   The user prompt contains
> escape sequences to control a model 37 Teletype, but the VT05 doesn't
> respond to them, and in fact ignores the <esc> character and just
> displays the semicolon and colon part of the escape sequences.

  ISTR that 2.9BSD on the Pro 350 does this too.

David Evans                                     dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Research Associate                     http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge