The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [pups] bitsavers document
@ 2006-06-14 23:24 Martin Lovick
From: Martin Lovick @ 2006-06-14 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

whilst looking around the bitsavers.org pdf archive, I
found a document called
PreliminaryUnixImplementationDocument_Jun72.pdf.
Having had a quick scan through, it contains a source
code listing and some commentary (lions i hear you
say). The strange thing is that all of the source code
appears to be in assembler...

whats this about?

is it a comentary of PDP-7 unix?

regards

Martin

http://mail.yahoo.com

* [pups] bitsavers document
@ 2006-06-15  3:33 dmr
From: dmr @ 2006-06-15  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Martin Lovick remarked,

 > whilst looking around the bitsavers.org pdf archive, I
 > found a document called
 > PreliminaryUnixImplementationDocument_Jun72.pdf.
 > Having had a quick scan through, it contains a source
 > code listing and some commentary (lions i hear you
 > say). The strange thing is that all of the source code
 > appears to be in assembler...

 > whats this about?

 > is it a comentary of PDP-7 unix?

It is a fairly early version, with commentary, of PDP-11 Unix (the kernel),
indeed still in assembler.  It is an interesting find, probably
the earliest version yet unearthed.  Kossow told me about
it when he did (or got) the scan of the document.

I can't remember receiving it at the time.

It is clearly different from what we in the research
group were running at the time--it has devices we didn't have,
and I think by then we were on the 11/45.

	Dennis

[parent not found: <mailman.5.1150336800.85819.pups@minnie.tuhs.org>]