The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] Self supporting
@ 2008-05-08 15:09 Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2008-05-08 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday I got V1 running on my Mac.  Great fun!
The level of sophistication impressed people here.
Do you folks think we can move the sources for
the kernel into it and have it be self supporting?

* [Unix-jun72] Self supporting
@ 2008-05-08 16:24 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-05-08 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 11:09:12AM -0400, Brantley Coile wrote:
> Wednesday I got V1 running on my Mac.  Great fun!
> The level of sophistication impressed people here.
> Do you folks think we can move the sources for
> the kernel into it and have it be self supporting?

It should be possible. We are now using the V2 assembler to build the
kernel a.out, which means that you could put the kernel source onto the
filesystem and do the assembly on V1 natively.

We need to recreate enough of the boot chain to make self-support possible.
James Markevitch I think was working on this; James, can you give us a
status report?

Cheers,
	Warren

* [Unix-jun72] Self supporting
@ 2008-05-08 17:09 James A. Markevitch
From: James A. Markevitch @ 2008-05-08 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

> We need to recreate enough of the boot chain to make self-support possible.
> James Markevitch I think was working on this; James, can you give us a
> status report?

It's up and running.  It requires the KE11 fix that Brad made (so that
switch registers work).  I tested against that and can boot without
pre-loading core with anything other than the 32W bootstrap.  It pulls
the bootstrap (bos) and operating system from the high portion of the
RF11 image.

I'll upload this this evening.

James Markevitch