The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [Unix-jun72] T4002A
@ 2008-05-09 17:42 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2008-05-09 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

An early section of the jun72 document has some code for
"modifications to UNIX to accomodate the T4002A graphic console."
Is anyone familiar with this?  If we could emulate this device
easily, it might be fun to enter this patch as an optional patch
to the system.

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

* [Unix-jun72] T4002A
@ 2008-05-09 18:29 ` Milo Velimirovic
From: Milo Velimirovic @ 2008-05-09 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

I worked with a successor device the Tektronix 4010. It's a storage
scope that doubles as a terminal. It ought to be easy enough to
emulate the alphanumeric part of this with a terminal but the
graphical capabilities would be a challenge -- especially if
portability was an issue. But if it wasn't challenging it wouldn't be
interesting or any fun....

just my $.02
  - Milo

On May 9, 2008, at 12:42 PM, Tim Newsham wrote:

> An early section of the jun72 document has some code for
> "modifications to UNIX to accomodate the T4002A graphic console."
> Is anyone familiar with this?  If we could emulate this device
> easily, it might be fun to enter this patch as an optional patch
> to the system.
>
> Tim Newsham
> http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/

Milo Velimirović,  Unix Computer Network Administrator
University of Wisconsin - La Crosse
La Crosse, Wisconsin 54601 USA   43 48 48 N 91 13 53 W

* [Unix-jun72] T4002A
@ 2008-05-09 19:17   ` Michael Kerpan
From: Michael Kerpan @ 2008-05-09 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

xterm can emulate a 4014. I don't knwo how much the protocol changed
over the years, but if it was mostnly similar then that code from
xterm could serve as a good starting point.

@ 2008-05-09 19:38   ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2008-05-09 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

In message: <2F53B3D5-9ADD-4708-A503-5897F9BCCB98 at uwlax.edu>
            Milo Velimirovic <milov at uwlax.edu> writes:
: I worked with a successor device the Tektronix 4010. It's a storage
: scope that doubles as a terminal. It ought to be easy enough to
: emulate the alphanumeric part of this with a terminal but the
: graphical capabilities would be a challenge -- especially if
: portability was an issue. But if it wasn't challenging it wouldn't be
: interesting or any fun....

IIRC, the good news here is that the Tektronix terminal was just a
serial attached device that did its drawing with escape sequences that
are well documented/understood.  Many early X terminal emulators has a
tektronix mode, for example.  That makes emulation a little easier.

I hope that the 4002A is one of these beasts.  I recall seeing it on
an emulation list for a tektronix emulator I worked with in the early
1990's, but it has been long enough that the neurons may have
decayed...

Warner

* [Unix-jun72] T4002A
@ 2008-05-09 19:40     ` M. Warner Losh
From: M. Warner Losh @ 2008-05-09 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

:
: IIRC, the good news here is that the Tektronix terminal was just a
: serial attached device that did its drawing with escape sequences that
: are well documented/understood.  Many early X terminal emulators has a
: tektronix mode, for example.  That makes emulation a little easier.
:
: I hope that the 4002A is one of these beasts.  I recall seeing it on
: an emulation list for a tektronix emulator I worked with in the early
: 1990's, but it has been long enough that the neurons may have
: decayed...

Pictures of the real thing:
	http://www.science.uva.nl/museum/tek4002a.html

Warner