The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: wkt@tuhs.org (Warren Toomey)
Subject: [Unix-jun72] if you're looking for a different way to volunteer...
Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 19:42:30 +1000	[thread overview]

On Fri, May 09, 2008 at 08:21:27PM -0700, Doug Merritt wrote:
> if you want to contribute, but don't have e.g. arcane knowledge of
> PDP 11 assembly and such -- then let me suggest that it would be
> interesting to find out more about these people listed in the 1973
> "Study of Unix" documents (http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/bellLabs/unix/)
> that formed the basis of this reconstruction effort.

Good idea.

> For starters, who was this "T. R. Bashkow" who called the
> meeting? Some googling last week indicates to me that he has
> an engineering award named after him, and that he does
> not have a wikipedia entry.

Ted Bashkow. That's all I've found too. We should ask Dennis.

> B. A. Tague's name is prominent too, although I personally
> do not recognize it. And similarly for the other memo
> addressees.

Berkeley Tague: I think one of the managers at Bell Labs. I should know
more, but a Google find this quickly:
http://www.ais.org/~jrh/acn/text/ACN6-1.txt, and there's more out there.

> Consider that any of these people might just happen to still
> have source code listings, magnetic/DEC-tapes, paper tape, or even just
> historical anecdotes to share, but perhaps no one ever asked
> them.

I've asked as many as I could find. An early AUUG or Usenix newsletter
mentioned that Jim McKie has won a 2nd Edition DECtape at a conference
"trivia night": I e-mailed him, and to cut a long story short, it is
probably the s1/s2 tapes that Dennis found. Kirk McKusick and Keith Bostic
found a DEC tape reader, connected it up to a VAX, and read the s1/s2 tapes
for Dennis.

Cheers,
	Warren