The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: wkt@tuhs.org (Warren Toomey)
Subject: [Unix-jun72] I recovered 100% of the s1 src code fragments
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 11:10:54 +1000	[thread overview]

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 06:00:50PM -0700, Doug Merritt wrote:
> This includes the ed2.s constructed from frag0 plus v5 ed2.s,
> which is therefore a less a reconstruction of lower fidelity.

Thanks Doug. I'll do a cross-check of both our efforts soon.

> What's next? Do we have OCR on the various manual sets? I'd
> like to reconstruct the roff input.

1st Ed: http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/1stEdman.html
2nd Ed: http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/1972_stuff/unix_2nd_edition_manual.pdf
3rd Ed: http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/Dennis_v3/v3man.tar.gz

The 3rd Ed ones are machine-readable roff format, so it would be possible
with some effort to recreate the 2nd Ed roof source using 3e and lots of
elbow grease. James Markevitch is working on an OCR of the 2e manuals, so
when his text version becomes available that would help the work.

> Still debugging my disassembler (and an ar tool with amazingly
> obstinate bugs; it should've been easy).

Let us know the progress: having a good disassembler would be very useful.

Cheers,
	Warren