This is puzzling me... so I decided to check whether I could somehow reproduce the problem here assuming your compiler derives from the one in System-III. So, I have installed System III on SIMH from the tapes in TUHS. Silly me, I didn't realize that I was using the ones for PDP-11 and so they are probably farther from the WEGA than the tapes for VAX. Still, while remaining within 16 bits, it seems like I can sort of reproduce some similar behavior on the PDP-11 System-III. If I find some spare time I will try to install SysIII on the VAX simulator as well and see if that works better. For the curious, I started off Hellwig Geisse's distro of V7 on PDP-11 http://homepages.fh-giessen.de/~hg53/pdp11-unix/ and succeeded to install mini-root. Then I had to use an intermediate V7 to restore from tape the tar archive of the full file system. After a few extra changes, I got System III apparently up and running (at least reaches single user and compiles itself). I don't know if there is any additional interest on this, but should it be I can make the UNIX System III distribution with instructions available for anybody interested. This distro comes with instructions AND a working system image, hence it is big, much bigger than Geisse's V7, but for today's standards it is a paltry 35M. j On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 18:14:19 +0200 Oliver Lehmann wrote: > Hmmmm > > but still: > > Jose R. Valverde wrote: > > > > saddr_t aux; > > > > > > aux.l = (caddr_t) uap->linkname; > > > u.u_dirp.l = (caddr_t) ((long) aux.l & 0x7F00FFFF); > > ldl rr2,rr8(#4) > ldl |_stkseg+~L1+8|(fp),rr2 > and r2,#32512 > ldl _u+78,rr2 > > -- > Oliver Lehmann > http://www.pofo.de/ > http://wishlist.ans-netz.de/ -- These opinions are mine and only mine. Hey man, I saw them first! José R. Valverde De nada sirve la Inteligencia Artificial cuando falta la Natural -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: signature.asc Type: application/pgp-signature Size: 189 bytes Desc: not available URL: