The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Finding homes for old machines (in the UK)
@ 2008-11-03 10:16 Tim Bradshaw
From: Tim Bradshaw @ 2008-11-03 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic, but I'm not sure of anywhere better to
ask.

I used to have a number of HLH Orion machines, which were superminis
(they ran BSD 4.2 / 4.3) made in the UK in the 80s and very early
90s.  A friend of mine still has some, which I suspect may be the last
ones extant, and a mass of documentation & media for them. He's
retiring soon and needs to find homes for them.

I think they're historically reasonably interesting machines - I
suspect they may have been almost the last significant British
computer design, and the earlier model was quite an interesting
machine, with user-programmable microcode &c (the later model was, I
think, not so interesting, if a lot faster).

Does anyone know of any museum-type places which might be able to
offer them a home?  They are still working (we think, he needs to turn
them on).  I'm thinking of approaching the Bletchley Park people, but
I'm wondering if anyone here has any better leads.

Thanks!

--tim

* [TUHS] Finding homes for old machines (in the UK)
@ 2008-11-03 10:47 ` asbesto
From: asbesto @ 2008-11-03 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 10:16:00AM +0000, Tim Bradshaw wrote:

> I used to have a number of HLH Orion machines, which were superminis
> (they ran BSD 4.2 / 4.3) made in the UK in the 80s and very early
> 90s.  A friend of mine still has some, which I suspect may be the last
> ones extant, and a mass of documentation & media for them. He's
> retiring soon and needs to find homes for them.
>
> Does anyone know of any museum-type places which might be able to
> offer them a home?  They are still working (we think, he needs to turn
> them on).  I'm thinking of approaching the Bletchley Park people, but
> I'm wondering if anyone here has any better leads.

We are growing as a Museum, but we're in Italy and we can't
afford shipping costs; some info about our work are here:

http://museum.freaknet.org

--
[ 73 de IW9HGS : freaknet medialab : radiocybernet : poetry hacklab]
[ http://freaknet.org/asbesto -  http://papuasia.org/radiocybernet ]