The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Old UNIX Filesystems with FUSE
@ 2008-12-17 23:46 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2008-12-17 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Cowan:

> Does this depend heavily on OS X, or should it work on Linux and BSD as well?

Warren Krun Toomey:

  No idea. I had a brief look at some of the code on the web site and it seems
  relatively neutral, but I have not downloaded it yet. I've sent an e-mail
  with the same question to Amit.

======

I keep meaning to poke about at FUSE, since it plays more or
less the role of the file-server-implementation library setup
I wrote for my own purposes 20 years ago (in the context of a
UNIX variant that cannot yet be distributed freely).

But I'd be surprised if the stuff was terribly MacOS X dependent.
Certainly FUSE exists in Linux, and the libraries and requisite
kernel module are even included in some Linux distributions
(notably recent editions of Fedora), because sshfs is built atop
FUSE.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Old UNIX Filesystems with FUSE
@ 2008-12-18  0:27 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2008-12-18  0:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Norman Wilson scripsit:

> I keep meaning to poke about at FUSE, since it plays more or
> less the role of the file-server-implementation library setup
> I wrote for my own purposes 20 years ago (in the context of a
> UNIX variant that cannot yet be distributed freely).

"Cannot yet" is good.  Is there any hope of seeing the 10th Edition
emerge from the shadows, ever?

--
We pledge allegiance to the penguin             John Cowan
and to the intellectual property regime         cowan at ccil.org
for which he stands, one world under            http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Linux, with free music and open source
software for all.               --Julian Dibbell on Brazil, edited

* [TUHS] Old UNIX Filesystems with FUSE
@ 2008-12-18 10:14     ` Oliver Lehmann
From: Oliver Lehmann @ 2008-12-18 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Warren Toomey writes:

>   As for portability, yes, I have kept AncientFS limited to the cross
>   platform FUSE API (MacFUSE supports much more than the FUSE API). So,
>   it should work on other FUSE implementations with few changes.

I've modified the code so compiles on FreeBSD but dlsym() still does not
work:

root at nudel ancientfs> ./ancientfs --type v7 --dmg v7_rl02_1145 /mnt/tmp
Undefined symbol "unixfs_v7"
invalid file system type v7
Exit 255

dlsym() is kinda new to me so I'm a bit lost...

I've uploaded a diff to the svn checkout which is mentioned on Amits page
here:

http://pofo.de/tmp/ancientfs_20081218_01.diff

The changes are
 - casting to satisfy %llu and %lu printf
 - Makefile adjustments
 - enhance endian checks to support BYTE_ORDER
 - work around undefined OSSwap functions

* [TUHS] Old UNIX Filesystems with FUSE
@ 2008-12-18  7:19   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-12-18  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:16:46PM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
> > Amit Singh has added support for a whole bunch of early UNIX filesystem and
> > archive formats to FUSE.
> Does this depend heavily on OS X, or should it work on Linux and BSD as well?

Amit says:

  As for portability, yes, I have kept AncientFS limited to the cross
  platform FUSE API (MacFUSE supports much more than the FUSE API). So,
  it should work on other FUSE implementations with few changes.

Cheers,
	Warren

* [TUHS] Old UNIX Filesystems with FUSE
@ 2008-12-18  0:13     ` Magnus Danielson
From: Magnus Danielson @ 2008-12-18  0:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey skrev:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:16:46PM -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>>> Amit Singh has added support for a whole bunch of early UNIX filesystem and
>>> archive formats to FUSE.
>> Does this depend heavily on OS X, or should it work on Linux and BSD as well?
>
> No idea. I had a brief look at some of the code on the web site and it seems
> relatively neutral, but I have not downloaded it yet. I've sent an e-mail
> with the same question to Amit.

OK, a checkout and compile-attempt later I can tell you that it doesn't
cook directly out of the box into the pot. Should not be that much magic
to get it cooking thought.

Cheers,
Magnus

* [TUHS] Old UNIX Filesystems with FUSE
@ 2008-12-17 23:22   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2008-12-17 23:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2008-12-17 23:16 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2008-12-17 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey scripsit:
> http://osxbook.com/software/ancientfs/
>
> Amit Singh has added support for a whole bunch of early UNIX filesystem and
> archive formats to FUSE.

Does this depend heavily on OS X, or should it work on Linux and BSD as well?

--
Some people open all the Windows;       John Cowan
wise wives welcome the spring           cowan at ccil.org
by moving the Unix.                     http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
  --ad for Unix Book Units (U.K.)
        (see http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/unix3image.gif)