The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] pdp11 question
@ 2010-11-14  0:38 Tim Newsham
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tim Newsham @ 2010-11-14  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

How much does an old pdp-11 type system cost these
days (ie. a pdp-11/40 with disks and terminal capable
of running something like 1st, 6th or 7th ed)?

How much power do they take up to power on?
Whats maintenance like on those things?

I've always been curious.

Tim Newsham | www.thenewsh.com/~newsham | thenewsh.blogspot.com

* [TUHS] pdp11 question
@ 2010-11-18 18:57 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2010-11-18 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just to loop things around a bit:

Some of the larger VAXes used small PDP-11s (and their
bastard offspring) as console processors.

This started with the very first VAX, the 11/780, which
used an 11/23 as a console.  The console ran a stripped-down
system, possibly based on RT-11 or RSX-11, I forget (and
am typing this on a train in the Outer Mongolia part of
Texas where it's hard to look up references).

I don't know the whole list of what was used as a console
for different VAXes, but I do remember that the Nautilus
series (8500-8550-8700-8800) used either a Pro/350 or a
Pro/380, running P/OS, which was slightly more satisfactory
than the rude English non-computer expansion of PoS might
imply, but only slightly.  Especially for those of us who
wrote code to fit into UNIX on the VAX and talk to the
console processor.

I also vaguely remember that although Digital were
reluctant (at least early on) to make an RT-11 that would
run on the Pro-series systems, someone made a UNIX for
those systems.

I never knew a lot about this stuff and have forgotten much
of what I did know, but perhaps my words will trigger others'
memories.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON