The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-08  3:56 Brian S Walden
From: Brian S Walden @ 2011-04-08  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know for sure that in 1988's svr3.2 the "awk" command was the 1988 version
and the "oawk" command was the version from 1979.

In svr3.0 the "awk" command was the old and we'd get the new one
from Holmdel's unix tools distribution group (called USTOP) and
install it as "nawk"

I think you could get the new one in stock svr3.1 but cannot
remember it it was provide as "awk" or "nawk."

@ 2011-04-11 10:43 arnold
From: arnold @ 2011-04-11 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

> > Hi. Does anyone remember for sure if "new" awk shipped with System V
> > Release 3.1 or 3.2?  I know it wasn't 3.0.
>
> Hi,
>
> http://www.levenez.com/lang/ says 1978 for oawk and 1985 for nawk.

New awk existed inside the Research group for some time before it
filtered out through System V.  It was even available separately,
directly from them, to educational institutions. Circa 1986 I got
a copy that way when I worked at the Emory University computing center.

> regarding http://www.levenez.com/unix/, 1978 is between v6 and v7,
> and 1985 is between SVr2 and SVr3.0.

True but not relevant; new awk was released with System V at either
3.1 or 3.2; I'm leaning towards 3.1 since that is what I wrote way back
when in the gawk manual when I knew for sure. :-)

Unless anyone can check the actual sources, I think we should declare
this closed...  Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Arnold

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-08 16:33 Brian S Walden
From: Brian S Walden @ 2011-04-08 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
> Officially it was written by Aho Weinberger Kernighan but
> I suspect Brian did most of the actual coding.

quote of Aho from an interview ---

 "We [Aho and Kernighan] had created a grammatical specification for AWK but
  hadn't yet created the full run-time environment. Weinberger came along
  and said 'hey, this looks like a language I could use myself', and within
  a week he created a working run time for AWK."

see http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/216844/a-z_programming_languages_awk/?fp=4194304&fpid=1%2F

* [TUHS] when did new awk first appear?
@ 2011-04-07 19:07 Aharon Robbins