The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] dmr has passed away
@ 2011-10-13  3:37 Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2011-10-13  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

https://plus.google.com/101960720994009339267/posts/ENuEDDYfvKP?hl=en

	I just heard that, after a long illness, Dennis Ritchie (dmr)
	died at home this weekend. I have no more information. I trust
	there are people here who will appreciate the reach of his
	contributions and mourn his passing appropriately. He was a quiet
	and mostly private man, but he was also my friend, colleague,
	and collaborator, and the world has lost a truly great mind.
		- Pob Pike

With great thanks and appreciation to him,
	Warren

* [TUHS] dmr has passed away
@ 2011-10-13 18:24 Jose R. Valverde
From: Jose R. Valverde @ 2011-10-13 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Truly a great loss.

I just saw this (I have traveling to some international meetings).

	I wonder if we could come up with a way to pay hommage to him
all together to acknowledge his legacy.

	Don't know what could be best, but I am sure there are people
here who knew him and through their consternation can give us an idea
of what would be the best way to publicly honor him.

	Can we all get together to do something jointly for him? I
guess a global collaborative initiative would be most in his spirit
and philosophy of life.

	Dunno, maybe create web site to celebrate him. Where everybody
can leave a testimony of how his work has affected our lives.

			EMBnet/CNB
		Scientific Computing Service
	Solving all your computer needs for Scientific
			Research.

		http://bioportal.cnb.csic.es
		  http://www.es.embnet.org