The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: jhellenthal@dataix.net (Jason Hellenthal)
Subject: [TUHS] the origin of dotfiles
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 13:51:00 -0400	[thread overview]

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 02:13:00PM +0900, Kuroishi Mitsuo wrote:

> Hi. Just FYI.
>
> It's an interesting article about the origin of dotfiles.
>
> https://plus.google.com/101960720994009339267/posts/R58WgWwN9jp

With all due respect to Rob Pike, I really do not find it all that
interesting. .files being no different than any other file other than
not being displayed in a listing ? it seriously makes utterly no
difference other than the human PoV. Just because "We did it in Plan 9"
does mean squat other than "We did it differently".

$ ls -A |grep ^\\. |wc -l
     108

     All of which I know how they got there and why they are there.

You have to keep in mind that the old UNIX systems did not have all the
crap that has evolved today for "Desktop" use and programmers in any
given situation will leverage all aspects available in any environment
to achieve a goal, just as Plan 9 does.

--

 - (2^(N-1)) JJH48-ARIN