The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 10th Edition, 8th Edition
@ 2013-02-01  1:55 Benjamin Huntsman
From: Benjamin Huntsman @ 2013-02-01  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

While the subject of historical stuff has been brought up, anyone thought about going another round with Attachmate to see if they'd extend the Ancient UNIX License to include v10, v9, and v8?  Attachmate is the current owner these days, aren't they?
I'm sure they, Novell, AT&T, and Lucent all don't care.  But someone's still got to sign the line.  I'm really hoping to see v10x86, like v7x86 someday!!

I've got a copy of v8 I'd love to make available some day, and I know there are at least one or two copies of v10 still in existence.  last I heard, there was no v9.

Anyone here know anybody at Attachmate?

Many thanks!

-Ben

* [TUHS] 10th Edition, 8th Edition
@ 2013-02-01 12:20 ` Angelo Papenhoff
From: Angelo Papenhoff @ 2013-02-01 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013 01:55:43 +0000, Benjamin Huntsman wrote:
> While the subject of historical stuff has been brought up, anyone
> thought about going another round with Attachmate to see if they'd
> extend the Ancient UNIX License to include v10, v9, and v8?
> Attachmate is the current owner these days, aren't they?
> I'm sure they, Novell, AT&T, and Lucent all don't care.  But
> someone's still got to sign the line.  I'm really hoping to see
> v10x86, like v7x86 someday!!
>
> I've got a copy of v8 I'd love to make available some day, and I know
> there are at least one or two copies of v10 still in existence.  last
> I heard, there was no v9.
>
> Anyone here know anybody at Attachmate?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> -Ben

Great to hear there still exist copies of later research Unices.
We should definitely ask for an extension of the Ancient UNIX License
(possibly to include SysIII or even SysV as well?).

* [TUHS] 10th Edition, 8th Edition
@ 2013-02-02  6:58   ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2013-02-02  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

That would make sense. SysV is about twenty years old, and its status
as an ultra-holy reliquary of trade secrets and whatnot has been
severely dented by Sun's open-sourcing of Solaris.

If anyone knows who to contact at Attachmate, I'd say, go for the
full bag, of Research Unix and commercial Unix.

Wesley Parish

@ 2013-02-02  7:38     ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2013-02-02  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 2, 2013, at 1:58 AM, Wesley Parish <wes.parish at paradise.net.nz> wrote:

> That would make sense. SysV is about twenty years old, and its status as an ultra-holy reliquary of trade secrets and whatnot has been severely dented by Sun's open-sourcing of Solaris.

Twenty years is pretty much when USL got out of the UNIX biz entirely.   System V actually started thirty years ago or so.   I worked on System V over BSD project with Doug Gwyn when still at BRL and I left there in 1987.   Amusingly, I continued to find copies of the "Ron" shell kicking around for decades after that.

* [TUHS] 10th Edition, 8th Edition
@ 2013-02-03 15:34       ` Rox 64
From: Rox 64 @ 2013-02-03 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Well, maybe Benjamin could release his tapes "by accident". Dennis Ritchie
had a similar "problem" with uriel from cat-v and the Eighth Edition
manuals ;)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] 10th Edition, 8th Edition
@ 2013-02-03 16:37         ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2013-02-03 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I hate it when those "problems" happen.  Such a shame.

On Sun, Feb 03, 2013 at 04:34:48PM +0100, Rox 64 wrote:
> Well, maybe Benjamin could release his tapes "by accident". Dennis Ritchie
> had a similar "problem" with uriel from cat-v and the Eighth Edition
> manuals ;)

---
Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitkeeper.com