The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] Fwd: A cameo by UNIX in BSTJ
@ 2013-07-25 22:10 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2013-07-25 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Thompson has famously said that the only thing he'd do
differently if he were to do Unix afresh would be to spell
"create" with a final e. The BSTJ cameo (or product placement?)
reveals another example: he'd spell Unix as an ordinary proper
name. Once the marketers had glommed onto "UNIX" as a  trademark,
we were regularly badgered when when we tried to naturalize
the name. References to "Unix" in internal documents were
scrubbed to "UNIX" for external consumption. I'd like to think
that by exhibiting "Unix" in an image Netravali et al
intentionally cocked a snook at corporate orthodoxy.

Incidentally, the online BSTJ is complete. A new publication,
the AT&T Technical Journal took its place after 1983, with
a new format and quite different content. The replacement
publication was a house organ, not a research journal.

Doug

* [TUHS] Fwd: A cameo by UNIX in BSTJ
@ 2013-07-24 19:30   ` Ed Cashin
From: Ed Cashin @ 2013-07-24 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

What parts are missing from the archive mentioned by Poul-Henning Kamp?

  http://www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/

It has 1922 to 1983.  I was assuming that missing issues like 1942 issues 2
through 4 were not ever published.

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Larry McVoy <lm at bitmover.com> wrote:

> I'd like to know where I can get the entire BSTJ.  For the record,
> Bell Labs was the *the* place when I was growing up.  Reading their
> journals was right up there with having an account on slovax at
> uwisc and reading the bell labs/BSD source.
>
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:34:10AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> > All, I got this interesting e-mail from Poul-Henning a few days ago.
> >       Warren
> >
> > ----- Forwarded message from Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
> -----
> >
> >    Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:27:27 +0000
> >    From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
> >    To: wkt at tuhs.org
> >    Subject: A cameo by UNIX in BSTJ
> >
> > Some months ago I faced a flight from Denmark to NZ and back again,
> > so I bought a Kobo eBook reader and reformatted the entire BSTJ to fit
> > the screen.
> >
> > That gave me about 100k "pages" to read, plenty for my NZ-flights
> > and a large number of otherwise wasted moments since then.  Highly
> > recommeded.
> >
> > Recently I came over what I belive is the first mention of UNIX in BSTJ.
> >
> > We all know about the v57i6, July-August 1978 "UNIX Time-Sharing System"
> > issue, but it transpires that UNIX made a cameo two years earlier
> > in an article about compression-schemes for TeleFax:
> >
> > www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol55-1976/articles/bstj55-10-1539.pdf
> >
> > Enjoy,
> >
> > Poul-Henning
> >
> > --
> > Poul-Henning Kamp       | UNIX since Zilog Zeus 3.20
> > phk at FreeBSD.ORG         | TCP/IP since RFC 956
> > FreeBSD committer       | BSD since 4.3-tahoe
> > Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by
> incompetence.
> >
> > ----- End forwarded message -----
>
> --
> ---
> Larry McVoy                lm at bitmover.com
> http://www.bitkeeper.com

  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/
  http://www.coraid.com/
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] Fwd: A cameo by UNIX in BSTJ
@ 2013-07-24  2:47 ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2013-07-24  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'd like to know where I can get the entire BSTJ.  For the record,
Bell Labs was the *the* place when I was growing up.  Reading their
journals was right up there with having an account on slovax at
uwisc and reading the bell labs/BSD source.

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:34:10AM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> All, I got this interesting e-mail from Poul-Henning a few days ago.
> 	Warren
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> -----
>
>    Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2013 13:27:27 +0000
>    From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk>
>    To: wkt at tuhs.org
>    Subject: A cameo by UNIX in BSTJ
>
> Some months ago I faced a flight from Denmark to NZ and back again,
> so I bought a Kobo eBook reader and reformatted the entire BSTJ to fit
> the screen.
>
> That gave me about 100k "pages" to read, plenty for my NZ-flights
> and a large number of otherwise wasted moments since then.  Highly
> recommeded.
>
> Recently I came over what I belive is the first mention of UNIX in BSTJ.
>
> We all know about the v57i6, July-August 1978 "UNIX Time-Sharing System"
> issue, but it transpires that UNIX made a cameo two years earlier
> in an article about compression-schemes for TeleFax:
>
> www3.alcatel-lucent.com/bstj/vol55-1976/articles/bstj55-10-1539.pdf
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Poul-Henning
>
> --
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----