The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-09 21:07 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2014-05-09 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Found in:

  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=1BSD/s6/man.c

this minor gem:

	execl("/bin/ssp", "ssp", 0);
	execl("/usr/bin/ssp", "ssp", 0);
	printf("Can't find ssp!\n");
	execl("/bin/cat", "cat", 0);
	printf("or cat - gott in himmel!\n");
	exit(1);

Not as good as "hodie natus" (Google it if you don't know of it - it's a
classic), but mildly amusing.

	  Noel

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-09 23:20 ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2014-05-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

 |Found in:
 |
 |  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=1BSD/s6/man.c
 |
 |this minor gem:
 |
 | execl("/bin/ssp", "ssp", 0);
 | execl("/usr/bin/ssp", "ssp", 0);
 | printf("Can't find ssp!\n");
 | execl("/bin/cat", "cat", 0);
 | printf("or cat - gott in himmel!\n");
 | exit(1);
 |
 |Not as good as "hodie natus" (Google it if you don't know of it - it's a
 |classic), but mildly amusing.

Correct Deutsch would however be "Gott im Himmel".

--steffen

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-09 23:44   ` Gilbert Morgan
From: Gilbert Morgan @ 2014-05-09 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Haha, wasn't Mark Twain who famously butchered it this way?

---
gilbertmm at sdf.org
SDF Public Access UNIX System -http://sdf.org

> On May 9, 2014, at 7:20 PM, Steffen Nurpmeso <sdaoden at yandex.com> wrote:
>
> |Found in:
> |
> |  http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=1BSD/s6/man.c
> |
> |this minor gem:
> |
> | execl("/bin/ssp", "ssp", 0);
> | execl("/usr/bin/ssp", "ssp", 0);
> | printf("Can't find ssp!\n");
> | execl("/bin/cat", "cat", 0);
> | printf("or cat - gott in himmel!\n");
> | exit(1);
> |
> |Not as good as "hodie natus" (Google it if you don't know of it - it's a
> |classic), but mildly amusing.
>
> Correct Deutsch would however be "Gott im Himmel".
>
> --steffen
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-10 10:51     ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2014-05-10 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gilbert Morgan <gilbertmm at sdf.org> wrote:
 |Haha, wasn't Mark Twain who famously butchered it this way?

The two languages are so alike -- how pleasant that is; we say
'Ach! Gott!' you say 'Goddamn.'”

--steffen

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-10 15:05       ` Gregg Levine
From: Gregg Levine @ 2014-05-10 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!
Let us also consider the dialect of Yiddish. It contains many
expressions originally in German, and an equally ungrammatical
smattering of Hebrew.

You'd be surprised what a lot of us say when our programs crash. Me? I
simply wish that the designer of the system go end up like a turnip.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com

@ 2014-05-10 20:18         ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2014-05-10 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gregg Levine scripsit:

> Let us also consider the dialect of Yiddish. It contains many
> expressions originally in German, and an equally ungrammatical
> smattering of Hebrew.

I know this is said in jest, but to speak in earnest for a moment,
Yiddish hasn't borrowed much from German: rather, Yiddish and modern
German are descended from a common ancestor, and so Yiddish is no more
ungrammatical German than English is ungrammatical Dutch.

See also generally <http://mercury.ccil.org/~cowan/essential.html>

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
Your worships will perhaps be thinking that it is an easy thing
to blow up a dog? [Or] to write a book?
    --Don Quixote, Introduction

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-10 21:39           ` Steffen Nurpmeso
From: Steffen Nurpmeso @ 2014-05-10 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was born '72 ...
Jiddisch does no longer exist in Germany.
(And i'm living in the hope the borders remain where they are.)

John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
 |Gregg Levine scripsit:
 |> Let us also consider the dialect of Yiddish. It contains many
 |> expressions originally in German, and an equally ungrammatical
 |> smattering of Hebrew.
 |
 |I know this is said in jest, but to speak in earnest for a moment,
 |Yiddish hasn't borrowed much from German: rather, Yiddish and modern
 |German are descended from a common ancestor, and so Yiddish is no more
 |ungrammatical German than English is ungrammatical Dutch.

The "Jiddisch" entry in the german Wikipedia classifies it as
a "Middle German Dialect".

--steffen

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-10 22:20             ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2014-05-10 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steffen Nurpmeso scripsit:

> The "Jiddisch" entry in the german Wikipedia classifies it as a
> "Middle German Dialect".

Well, that's true enough.  It's also true that modern standard German is
a "Middle German dialect", in the technical sense of the English word
"dialect", which is not the same as the technical sense of the German
words "Dialekt" and "Mundart".  That is, both have been handed down
from parents to children directly from Middle German, spoken in many
varieties throughout the German-speaking lands in the 11th to 15th C.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
                I am a member of a civilization. --David Brin

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-10 23:30               ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2014-05-10 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't think there's any actual disagreement on your points, just a lot
of useless syntactic fiddling.  Claiming German isn't German because it's
*different* German is going to lead to someone claiming by analogy that
Beowulf isn't English, and then the world will end.

What do you stand to gain here?

khm

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-10 23:41                 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2014-05-10 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kurt H Maier scripsit:

> I don't think there's any actual disagreement on your points, just a lot
> of useless syntactic fiddling.  Claiming German isn't German because it's
> *different* German is going to lead to someone claiming by analogy that
> Beowulf isn't English, and then the world will end.

If this is addressed to me (there's no way to tell), I am not claiming
anything of the sort.  Yiddish and German are sibling languages.
Yiddish has borrowed a lot of Hebrew, but is not genetically related
to it.  That's all.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
That you can cover for the plentiful and often gaping errors, misconstruals
and disinformation in your posts through sheer volume -- that is another
misconception.  --Mike to Peter

* [TUHS] An amusing error message
@ 2014-05-11  5:14             ` Ori Idan
From: Ori Idan @ 2014-05-11  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, May 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM, Steffen Nurpmeso <sdaoden at yandex.com>wrote:

> I was born '72 ...
> Jiddisch does no longer exist in Germany.
> (And i'm living in the hope the borders remain where they are.)
>
> John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:
>  |Gregg Levine scripsit:
>  |> Let us also consider the dialect of Yiddish. It contains many
>  |> expressions originally in German, and an equally ungrammatical
>  |> smattering of Hebrew.
>  |I know this is said in jest, but to speak in earnest for a moment,
>  |Yiddish hasn't borrowed much from German: rather, Yiddish and modern
>  |German are descended from a common ancestor, and so Yiddish is no more
>  |ungrammatical German than English is ungrammatical Dutch.
>
> The "Jiddisch" entry in the german Wikipedia classifies it as
> a "Middle German Dialect".

In Israel Yiddisch still exists and spoken mainly by old people who came
from Germany. As much as I know there is still a newspaper written in
Yiddisch.
Yiddisch writing is even stranger as it uses the Hebrew alphabet.
There is even a Yiddisch literature course in universities here.

--
Ori Idan

@ 2014-05-11  6:00               ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2014-05-11  6:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ori Idan scripsit:

> In Israel Yiddisch still exists and spoken mainly by old people who
> came from Germany. As much as I know there is still a newspaper written
> in Yiddisch.

There's one in New York City, too:  <http://yiddish.forward.com>.
It's hard to count, but there are probably between 1 and 2 million
Yiddish-speakers worldwide.  In particular, many Haredi (so-called
ultra-Orthodox) Jews outside Israel use it as a home language, so it is
still being passed on to children, and it is still used as a language
of religious education.

> Yiddisch writing is even stranger as it uses the Hebrew alphabet.

Before mass literacy, Jews (who were almost all literate in Hebrew,
at least the males) traditionally wrote the language of the country
they were in using the Hebrew alphabet.  Consequently, there were and
in some cases still are Jewish versions of French, German, Spanish,
Georgian, various Arabic colloquials, Aramaic, Tat, and other languages.
Yiddish is the most different of these from the goyish version.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
And they pack their lyrics till they're so damn dense
You could put 'em in your yard and you could use 'em for a fence.
      --Alan Chapman, "Everybody Wants to Be Sondheim"