The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: sdaoden@yandex.com (Steffen Nurpmeso)
Subject: [TUHS] /proc - linux vs solaris
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 14:37:55 +0200	[thread overview]

 |> I get the arguments above but I don't buy 'em.  linux really got /proc
 |> right in terms of usefulness.  Digging binary blobs out of the kernel

 |I agree with this, with one caveat: there are things which \
 |exist in /proc which should be in a standard format (extensible \
 |if need be) but are not.  I forget the particular example \

Whereas unprofessional i missed the most any documentation; if
i recall correctly (i think i do) in at least the 2.4 series there
was a PROCFSENTRY() (or quite similar) macro which well did what
it says and i still don't understand why there was no, and may it
be optional, and may the final usage of it be optional in
addition, documentational string argument for this.  That is
i found, and again found some years ago when i first installed
Linux on this Notebook and tried to get the fans controlled, that
it is completely intransparent; how easy would it be if each entry
in proc had a xy.txt that simply expands to the the content of the
mentioned string argument?  Like it was it took hours to get the
fans right.  How nice it was once i switched over to (then Free)
BSD, which documents not not nil (as in [1]).

  [1] <http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?sysctl+7+NetBSD-current>

--steffen