The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-27 19:19 Aharon Robbins
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Aharon Robbins @ 2014-09-27 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All.

This is really gonna stretch the memories. (I may have even asked about
it on this list before.)

At one of the earlier USENIX conferences that I attended, maybe in
Atlanta, there was a contest to make up humorous new errno values.
The one that won, which I remember to this day was:

EMISTERED:
	A host is a host from coast to coast,
	and no-one can talk to host that's close,
	unless the host that isn't close
	is busy, hung, or dead.

I have quoted this is the gawk doc for many years.

I'm wondering if there is a way to find out who was the author
of this gem? I'd like to give him/her credit.

Thanks,

Arnold

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-27 20:25 ` Dave Horsfall
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2014-09-27 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014, Aharon Robbins wrote:

> EMISTERED:
> 	A host is a host from coast to coast,
> 	and no-one can talk to host that's close,
> 	unless the host that isn't close
> 	is busy, hung, or dead.

Boy, that's a blast from the past!  I saw it (I think) reprinted in AUUGN
from Usenix's ";login:" journal, if that's any help.

-- Dave

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-27 20:41 ` Jaap Akkerhuis
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jaap Akkerhuis @ 2014-09-27 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sep 27, 2014, at 22:19, Aharon Robbins <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> This is really gonna stretch the memories. (I may have even asked about
> it on this list before.)
>
> At one of the earlier USENIX conferences that I attended, maybe in
> Atlanta, there was a contest to make up humorous new errno values.
> The one that won, which I remember to this day was:
>
> EMISTERED:
> 	A host is a host from coast to coast,
> 	and no-one can talk to host that's close,
> 	unless the host that isn't close
> 	is busy, hung, or dead.

Ah, that one.  There is even a videa somewhere on which the judges
sing this entry to the contest.  I forgot who the winner was but
having been a judge of the contest (and singing badly) I should
have some notes soemewhere.

I'm currently not close to my personal archives, so it might take a
while before I have an opportunity to look for the details (provided
I still have them).

	jaap

@ 2014-09-27 20:58   ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2014-09-27 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm away & on poor bandwidth but try http://minnie.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/AUUGN/. My memory says somewhere in volumes 3, 4 or 5.
Cheers, Warren

On 28 September 2014 06:25:44 AEST, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
>On Sat, 27 Sep 2014, Aharon Robbins wrote:
>
>> EMISTERED:
>> 	A host is a host from coast to coast,
>> 	and no-one can talk to host that's close,
>> 	unless the host that isn't close
>> 	is busy, hung, or dead.
>
>Boy, that's a blast from the past!  I saw it (I think) reprinted in
>AUUGN
>from Usenix's ";login:" journal, if that's any help.
>
>-- Dave

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-27 21:09 ` Clem Cole
From: Clem Cole @ 2014-09-27 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mike O’Brien (aka Mr. Protocol)

@ 2014-09-27 21:16     ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2014-09-27 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, Warren Toomey wrote:

> I'm away & on poor bandwidth but try
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/AUUGN/. My memory says
> somewhere in volumes 3, 4 or 5.

I'd poke around myself (and I see my SCCS paper is in there somewhere) but
I'm close to blowing my download limit for the month (grabbing Mavericks
for my Mac and subsequent updates tends to do that).

-- Dave

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-28  4:44   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2014-09-28  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks!

Arnold

@ 2014-09-28  4:54     ` Larry McVoy
From: Larry McVoy @ 2014-09-28  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anyone know where Mike is these days?

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 10:44:58PM -0600, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> Arnold
>
> Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:
>
> > Mike O???Brien (aka Mr. Protocol)
> >
> > On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Aharon Robbins <arnold at skeeve.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All.
> > >
> > > This is really gonna stretch the memories. (I may have even asked about
> > > it on this list before.)
> > >
> > > At one of the earlier USENIX conferences that I attended, maybe in
> > > Atlanta, there was a contest to make up humorous new errno values.
> > > The one that won, which I remember to this day was:
> > >
> > > EMISTERED:
> > >         A host is a host from coast to coast,
> > >         and no-one can talk to host that's close,
> > >         unless the host that isn't close
> > >         is busy, hung, or dead.
> > >
> > > I have quoted this is the gawk doc for many years.
> > >
> > > I'm wondering if there is a way to find out who was the author
> > > of this gem? I'd like to give him/her credit.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Arnold

---

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-28 10:01   ` Dave Horsfall
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2014-09-28 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, 28 Sep 2014, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> > EMISTERED:
> > 	A host is a host from coast to coast,
> > 	and no-one can talk to host that's close,
> > 	unless the host that isn't close
> > 	is busy, hung, or dead.
>
> Boy, that's a blast from the past!  I saw it (I think) reprinted in
> AUUGN from Usenix's ";login:" journal, if that's any help.

Oh, and my favourite *genuine* errno is still ENAMETOOLONG.

And the ultimate cop-out: EIO[0] (it could mean anything, like "Syntax
error" from a compiler).

[0]
Ah yes, the System/360 Extended Instruction[1] ("EI") console command.

[1]
Not to be confused with Execute Programmer Immediate, etc.

-- Dave

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-09-28 14:06 ` John Cowan
From: John Cowan @ 2014-09-28 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Aharon Robbins scripsit:

> 	is busy, hung, or dead.

FWIW, I remember seeing "Host busy, hung, or dead" error messages myself
on the ARPANET back in 1974.

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing
on my shoulders.  --Hal Abelson

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-28 15:04     ` Ronald Natalie
From: Ronald Natalie @ 2014-09-28 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Of the real ones ENOTTY (not a typewriter) was always the most puzzling to new users.

My favorite from that contest was

ELECTROLUX =  Your code needs cleaning up.

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-09-28 16:22       ` Jaap Akkerhuis
From: Jaap Akkerhuis @ 2014-09-28 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

> My favorite from that contest was
>
> ELECTROLUX =  Your code needs cleaning up.

When the contest was rerun at the EUUG in Roma (IT) the winner was

ENOTOBACCO == Reading from an empty pipe

	jaap

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-10-02 11:46 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2014-10-02 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Sep 27, 2014 at 10:19:58PM +0300, Aharon Robbins wrote:
> This is really gonna stretch the memories. (I may have even asked about
> it on this list before.)
> At one of the earlier USENIX conferences that I attended, maybe in
> Atlanta, there was a contest to make up humorous new errno values.

I'm back from a trip to Cania Gorge in Queensland Australia where there is
next to no phone reception.

When I scanned in the old AUUG newsletters, I told the photocopier to also
do OCR. This means that I can do this to the scanned files:

for i in *.pdf
do j=`echo $i | sed 's/pdf/txt/'`
   echo $j
   pdftotext $i
   grep ENO $j
   rm $j
done

Yet another reason why Unix is so much better :-) Here are the results
which will help Arnold out with his question.

Cheers, Warren

http://minnie.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/AUUGN/

AUUGN-V07.23.txt
ENOTOBACCO
ENOHORSE
ENONSEQUITUR

AUUGN-V07.45.txt
ENOINSTRUCTIONSET
ENOSTD
ENOP
ENOTON UNIX
ENOVAX
ENOFOOT
ENOCOFFEE
ENOLICENCE
ENOLICENSE
ENOTUNIX
ENOMONEYNOFUN
ENOTFOUND
ENOALCHOHOL
ENOJOY
ENOBAR
ENOTOBACCO

AUUGN-V08.34.txt
ENOTABACCO, read on an empty pipe?
ENOGOOD
ENOWARP
ENOTHEAVY
ENOUGH
ENOTONHORSE
ENOPHONEBOOK
ENOCONTEST
ENOARMSCONTROL
ENOSTRADAMUS
ENOAIR
ENOARMSCONTROL
ENOBOZOS
ENOCH
ENOCHICKEN
ENOCONTEST
ENOCORN
ENOCURRENT
ENODICE
ENOENO
ENOENO
ENOERROR
ENOFLUID
ENOGOOD
ENOGREYHOUND
ENOH20
ENOHOPE
ENOKISS
ENOKNOW
ENOMAAM
ENOMULTIHOP
ENON
ENONCOGNISCENT
ENONO
ENOONE
ENOPAPER
ENOPHONEBOOK
ENORMOUS
ENOSALT
ENOSAUSAGE
ENOSELECTRIC
ENOSTRADAMUS
ENOTATE
ENOTCOMPLETE
ENOTHEAVY
ENOTME
ENOTMYFAULT
ENOTONHORSE
ENOUGH
ENOUGH
ENOUGH
ENOUGH
ENOUNIX
ENOV1CE
ENOWARP
ENOWA.Y

AUUGN-V09.6.txt
ENOTUNIX
ENOTOBACCO

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-10-02 12:12   ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2014-10-02 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Warren.

Really cool.

Can you grep for EMRED?  (Doesn't match ENO).

Thanks!

Arnold

@ 2014-10-02 14:52   ` Derrik Walker v2.0
From: Derrik Walker v2.0 @ 2014-10-02 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/2/14, 7:46, Warren Toomey wrote:
> Yet another reason why Unix is so much better :-)
UNIX is just better than just about anything when you have real work to
get done.

For example, we have a popular web log analyzer program ( that shall
remain nameless ), that apparently is not very capable, because they
frequently ask me to make custom reports.  Naturally I use the UNIX
tools available to that I know how to use ... And so I keep threatening
to just re-write that application in AWK.

- Derrik

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-10-02 22:19     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2014-10-02 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 06:12:21AM -0600, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> Hi Warren.
> Really cool.
> Can you grep for EMRED?  (Doesn't match ENO).

Results are: AUUGN-V07.23 and AUUGN-V08.34 which are in

@ 2014-10-03  9:24       ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2014-10-03  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 06:12:21AM -0600, arnold at skeeve.com wrote:
> > Hi Warren.
> > Really cool.
> > Can you grep for EMRED?  (Doesn't match ENO).
>
> Results are: AUUGN-V07.23 and AUUGN-V08.34 which are in
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/Archive/Documentation/AUUGN/
>
> Cheers, Warren

Much thanks!

Arnold

* [TUHS] made up errno contest, at an early USENIX
@ 2014-10-02 13:00 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2014-10-02 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

arnold at skeeve.com:

  Can you grep for EMRED?  (Doesn't match ENO).

====

Why not grep for E[A-Z][A-Z]*?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON