The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] 2.9bsd on 11/45 restoration
@ 2014-10-04 12:19 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2014-10-04 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Warren Toomey <wkt at tuhs.org>

    >> have been kicking around the idea of repairing the11/45 I scored some
    >> years ago (11/45 system number 273 from Stanford University)
    >> ..
    >> Any pointers to who has parts and troubleshooting knowledge would be a
    >> big help.

Anyone seriously working on bringing old hardware back to life needs to get
in touch with the Classic Computer Talk list:

A wealth of experience and knowledge on every conceivable topic involved in
old hardware is available there, and people are very helpful.

	Noel

[parent not found: <mailman.1.1412643601.13349.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]
* [TUHS] 2.9bsd on 11/45 restoration
@ 2014-10-06  1:36 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2014-10-06  1:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

  The 11/70 service manual is all good, but it's definitely not enough.
  Ideally, you should have access to the full drawings, the service manual
  for the CPU, the service manual for the memory subsystem, I seem to
  remember that the FP11 has its own service manual, and I think the
  massbus interface also has its own documentation set.
  Also, the memory system consists of both the Unibus map, the cache and
  memory bus system, and they you have separate documentation for the
  memory boxes (either MJ11 or MK11 box).

It might be worth while to contact the Living Computer Museum.
I forget whether they have an 11/70 running or just an 11/45,
but I do know that they collect all the documentation they can
get for old computers--I saw the room where they store it.
Whenever they need to use it, or there's some other need to
access it, they try to make time to scan it, so the precious
copy can stay in the archive room.

Since their goal is to have ancient computers actually
running, they are certainly interested in having all the
documents (even if you can't get the wood, as Warren might
remark at this point), including full engineering drawings.

It's also a neat place to visit if you have some free time in
Seattle.  I'm disappointed to have figured out that, although
I'll be in Seattle for a conference in about a month, I won't
be able to visit LCM while they're open unless I skip some
conference sessions ... or unless I can convince them to open
up specially.  Anyone else on this list planning to attend
LISA and interested in visiting a museum of old running
computers?

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

[parent not found: <mailman.1.1412470802.24227.tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>]