The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] What's with the DZ-11?
@ 2014-11-27 16:03 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2014-11-27 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Ronald Natalie

    >> each single DZ hex board supported 8 lines (fully independent of any
    >> other cards); the full DH replacement did need two boards, though.

    > Eh? The DH/DM from Able was a single hex board and it supported 16
    > lines.

To be read in the context of Clem's post which I was replying to: to replace
the line capacity of a DH (16 lines), one needed two DZ cards.

	Noel

* [TUHS] What's with the DZ-11?
@ 2014-12-01 12:32 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2014-12-01 12:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>

    > a 9-track tape followed me home, but even if I knew where it was now it
    > ain't gonna be readable after over 30 years...

Umm, don't be too sure!

I have several sets of backup tapes from one of the V6 machines at MIT, and
those are also roughly 30 years old, and they are not in the best shape (they
sat in my basement for most of that time). I sent one off to someone who
specializes in reading old tapes, and he's gotten almost all the bits off of
it (a few records had unrecoverable read errors, but the vast majority were
OK - like roughly 15 read errors in around 1500 records).

So do look for that tape (unless the material is all already online).

I hope to annouce a vast trove of stuff soon from my tapes (once I figure out
how to interpret the bits - they are written by a sui generis application
called 'saveRVD', and the _only_ documentation of how it did it is... on that
tape! :-) That includes a lot of code written at MIT, as well as stuff
from elsewhere.

Coming sbould be BCPL, Algol, LISP and some other languages; MACRO-11 and the
DEC linker (which I guess are also available from UNSW tapes),but _also_
programs to convert back and forth from .REL to a.out format, and to .LDA
format; and a whole ton of other applications (I have no idea what all is
there - if anyone is interested, I can make a pass through my manuals and try
and make a list).

	Noel

* [TUHS] What's with the DZ-11?
@ 2014-11-27 14:55 Noel Chiappa
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2014-11-27 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>

    > two issues. first DEC subsetted the modem control lines so running
    > modems - particularly when you wanted hardware flow control like the
    > trailblazers - did not work.

?? We ran dialup modems on our DZ11s (1200 bps Vadics, IIRC) with no problems,
so you must be speaking only some sort of high-speed application where you
needed the hardware flow control, or something, when you say "running modems
... did not work".

Although, well, since the board didn't produce an interrupt when a modem
status line (e.g. 'carrier detect') changed state, we did have to do a kludge
where we polled the device to catch such modem control line changes. Maybe
that's what you were thinking of?

    > To Dave the DZ was great because it was two boards to do what he
    > thought was the same thing as a DH

To prevent giving an incorrect impression to those who 'were not there', each

@ 2014-11-26 21:41 Noel Chiappa
From: Noel Chiappa @ 2014-11-26 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

    > From: Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org>

    > what was the problem with them?

Well, not a _problem_, really, but.... 'one interrupt per output character'
(and no way around that, really). So, quite a bit of overhead when you're
running a bunch of DZ lines, at high speeds (e.g. 9600 baud).

I dunno, maybe there was some hackery one could pull (e.g. only enabling
interrupts on _one_ line which was doing output, and on a TX interrupt,
checking all the other lines to see if any were i) ready to take another
character, and ii) had a character waiting to go), but still, it's still going
to be more CPU overhead than DMA (which is what the DH used).

	Noel

* [TUHS] What's with the DZ-11?
@ 2014-11-26 20:48 Dave Horsfall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Dave Horsfall @ 2014-11-26 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've seen a couple of less than flattering references here; what was the
problem with them?

At UNSW, we couldn't afford the DH-11, so ended up with the crappy DJ-11
instead (the driver for the DH-11 had the guts ripped out of it in an
all-nighter by Ian Johnston as I recall), and when the DZ-11 came along we
thought it was the bees' knees.

Sure, the original driver was as slow as hell, but the aforesaid IanJ
reworked it and made it faster by at least 10x; amongst other things, I
think he did away with the character queues and used the buffer pool
instead, getting 9600 on all eight channels simultaneously, possibly even
full-duplex.

--
Dave Horsfall DTM (VK2KFU)  "Bliss is a MacBook with a FreeBSD server."
http://www.horsfall.org/spam.html (and check the home page whilst you're there)